SJ

Default total newbie Mercruiser question

Got a 21" SeaRay with a 5.7L 260hp mercruiser. It's run fine all year at
least 25 hours, even without a tune-up this year. I try to sell it today
and the guy takes it out and it nearly need towed back in. It idles ok, but
when engaged in gear, bogs down and stalls if you don't give it nearly Full
throttle right off the bat. Tried new gas but not dry gas. I know it has a
Water/Fuel filter on the front right of the motor. I haven't even looked at
it yet really, but I'll change the plugs and look at the distributor. Does
it have a separate fuel filter? Any advice for this total moron would be
highly appreciated because the guy wants to buy the boat if the problem
isn't major. Thanks, Scott

Woodchuck

Since you have very little knowledge I suggest taking it to a marine dealer!
Got a 21" SeaRay with a 5.7L 260hp mercruiser. It's run fine all year at least 25 hours, even without a tune-up this year. I try to sell it today and the guy takes it out and it nearly need towed back in. It idles ok, but when engaged in gear, bogs down and stalls if you don't give it nearly Full throttle right off the bat. Tried new gas but not dry gas. I know it has a Water/Fuel filter on the front right of the motor. I haven't even looked at it yet really, but I'll change the plugs and look at the distributor. Does it have a separate fuel filter? Any advice for this total moron would be highly appreciated because the guy wants to buy the boat if the problem isn't major. Thanks, Scott
Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:56:56 -0400, "SJ" wrote:

Got a 21" SeaRay with a 5.7L 260hp mercruiser. It's run fine all year at
least 25 hours, even without a tune-up this year. I try to sell it today
and the guy takes it out and it nearly need towed back in. It idles ok, but
when engaged in gear, bogs down and stalls if you don't give it nearly Full
throttle right off the bat. Tried new gas but not dry gas. I know it has a
Water/Fuel filter on the front right of the motor. I haven't even looked at
it yet really, but I'll change the plugs and look at the distributor. Does
it have a separate fuel filter? Any advice for this total moron would be
highly appreciated because the guy wants to buy the boat if the problem
isn't major. Thanks, Scott

I would suggest that you take the boat to a dealer and let them look
at it. If this wasn't a potential sale, I would say take the time and
tinker with it yourself, do this, do that - you would learn something
and have a little fun getting dirty. I

t would probably be better for you, in the long run, to have a dealer
look it over, fix it, give you a positive report on the engine
and you can use that as part of the sale effort.
SJ

Motor fired up perfectly today without me doing anything to it. Somethink
must have had moisture in it yesterday. Thanks for the replies.
Scott