designo

Default Newbie: Stupid prop question

How about Paranah glass filled nylon (I assume) plastic prop?
"JR North" wrote in message
If your WOT rpm is in the 42-4600 range, stay with the same
pitch/diameter.
Upgrade to a good SS prop. A high quality SS prop will
scooch the WOT rpm up a tad over the crusty, dinged up AL
prop you have. The best way to "baby" your engine is to run
a prop that is most efficient at converting the engines
power to thrust. Thus, the cost of a good prop is worth it.
The difference in performance when I switched to a Siletto
SS prop on my MaXum was quite noticeable over the OEM AL
prop that came with it. Throw the AL prop in the rode locker
for a rainy day.
JR

Joe Boater wrote:

Hi all, I'm new to the group. First of several (possibly many) stupid
questions.
Just upgraded from a "toy boat" to a 26 ft cruiser.
1976 Carver Santa Cruz. Volvo Penta 260_A (GM 350 CID engine, VP290 OD.

My
aluminum prop is moderatly corroded ans has a significant dind. I'd like

replace it.
The engine runs smooth, but considering the 400+ hours on it, I'd like

baby it a bit, but I'd like to get max cruise speed out of this old slow
boat. I'm no speed racer, I dont care about being quick, "out of the

hole" I
just want the fastest cruise with a slower RPM. The boat weighs about

7-8000
lbs and has HUGE trim tabs. What should I be looking for in a prop.
Thanks in advance for the acvice.
DB

Joe Boater

Hi all, I'm new to the group. First of several (possibly many) stupid
questions.
Just upgraded from a "toy boat" to a 26 ft cruiser.
1976 Carver Santa Cruz. Volvo Penta 260_A (GM 350 CID engine, VP290 OD. My
aluminum prop is moderatly corroded ans has a significant dind. I'd like to
replace it.
The engine runs smooth, but considering the 400+ hours on it, I'd like to
baby it a bit, but I'd like to get max cruise speed out of this old slow
boat. I'm no speed racer, I dont care about being quick, "out of the hole" I
just want the fastest cruise with a slower RPM. The boat weighs about 7-8000
lbs and has HUGE trim tabs. What should I be looking for in a prop.
Thanks in advance for the acvice.
DB

Clams Canino

You probably want a stainless prop of the same pitch as what was on it. No
materr what you do though "baby it" and Max cruise speed" are incompatable
thoughts. Even if you acheive max cruise speed at lower RPM's - the engine
will be working against a bigger load.

-W

"Joe Boater" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all, I'm new to the group. First of several (possibly many) stupid
questions.
Just upgraded from a "toy boat" to a 26 ft cruiser.
1976 Carver Santa Cruz. Volvo Penta 260_A (GM 350 CID engine, VP290 OD. My
aluminum prop is moderatly corroded ans has a significant dind. I'd like

replace it.
The engine runs smooth, but considering the 400+ hours on it, I'd like to
baby it a bit, but I'd like to get max cruise speed out of this old slow
boat. I'm no speed racer, I dont care about being quick, "out of the hole"

just want the fastest cruise with a slower RPM. The boat weighs about

7-8000
lbs and has HUGE trim tabs. What should I be looking for in a prop.
Thanks in advance for the acvice.
DB

HVACJoe

Contact: Airmarine in Chicago 773-582-0100 or 800-339-PROP, they are rated

Lawrence James

Probably needs those trim tabs to get on plane with a 350. It is less wear
on the engine to run it correctly propped that it is to over prop it to
lower the rpm at wot. Previous poster is right, boat engines are either
working hard or very hard. Keeping a heavy 26' boat on plane and moving
thru the water at a decent speed takes power.

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
You probably want a stainless prop of the same pitch as what was on it.

No
materr what you do though "baby it" and Max cruise speed" are incompatable
thoughts. Even if you acheive max cruise speed at lower RPM's - the engine
will be working against a bigger load.

-W

"Joe Boater" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all, I'm new to the group. First of several (possibly many) stupid
questions.
Just upgraded from a "toy boat" to a 26 ft cruiser.
1976 Carver Santa Cruz. Volvo Penta 260_A (GM 350 CID engine, VP290 OD.

My
aluminum prop is moderatly corroded ans has a significant dind. I'd like

replace it.
The engine runs smooth, but considering the 400+ hours on it, I'd like

baby it a bit, but I'd like to get max cruise speed out of this old slow
boat. I'm no speed racer, I dont care about being quick, "out of the

hole"
just want the fastest cruise with a slower RPM. The boat weighs about

7-8000
lbs and has HUGE trim tabs. What should I be looking for in a prop.
Thanks in advance for the acvice.
DB

RG

"Joe Boater" wrote in message
. ..
Hi all, I'm new to the group. First of several (possibly many) stupid
questions.
Just upgraded from a "toy boat" to a 26 ft cruiser.
1976 Carver Santa Cruz. Volvo Penta 260_A (GM 350 CID engine, VP290 OD. My
aluminum prop is moderatly corroded ans has a significant dind. I'd like

replace it.
The engine runs smooth, but considering the 400+ hours on it, I'd like to
baby it a bit, but I'd like to get max cruise speed out of this old slow
boat. I'm no speed racer, I dont care about being quick, "out of the hole"

just want the fastest cruise with a slower RPM. The boat weighs about

7-8000
lbs and has HUGE trim tabs. What should I be looking for in a prop.
Thanks in advance for the acvice.
DB

You don't mention what your wide open throttle (WOT) RPM currently is. It
should be somewhere between 4400-4600 RPM at WOT. Assuming that the engine
is currently in proper tune and producing all the horsepower it is good for,
you should be looking for a prop that will allow the engine to reach the
recommend RPM range at WOT. No more, no less. This will be determined
primarily by the pitch of the prop. Many prop shops will help by making
recommendations as a good prop to start with, based on your description of
the boat and its powertrain. If the initial guess is a bit off, a good shop
will allow you to return the prop undamaged and exchange it for one that
allows your engine to reach proper operating speeds. Stainless versus
aluminum is a personal choice, with mine being stainless. I also highly
recommend carrying a spare prop (aluminum is fine for this) and also spare
mounting hardware and a prop wrench.

Group newbie with a prop question... WildestDream General 4 August 29th 03 05:30 AM
Boat Prop Question.. Wayne.B General 2 August 21st 03 02:31 PM
Quick Prop Question M.E. General 10 August 2nd 03 03:53 AM
Prop Question... Part II Matt General 1 July 24th 03 01:58 AM
Prop question Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 July 23rd 03 04:23 AM