gatt

Default Q: Merc 3L/Alpha 1 What should I expect to pay

Hi, folks. Hope y'all are enjoying the boating season. I'm working on it
but I have a question:

I have a 3L Merc with an Alpha 1 outdrive on my SeaRay Seville.
It needs a new water pump and there appears to be a leak coming from
somewhere in the upper center of the outdrive.

I could do the water pump myself, probably, but what should I expect to pay
to have the leak fixed? The Merc manual lists a few things and it doesn't
look like it's coming through the main seal...it trickles in somewhere
around the bellows, so I'm assuming I have to replace those (the two
flexible hoses in the exterior, I think) but the manual says NOTHING about
how to replace the U-joint or bell housing bellows so I don't even know if
I'm looking in the right place.

Any ideas? Is this something I should just try to do myself starting with
the hoses or should I take it in and have it done? I've done a bit of
engine work on both the boat and my jeep but I don't have a covered shop or
a way to support the outdrive so that may be a factor.

Any help would be great.

-c

5.7L Merc coil question Coff General 6 May 7th 04 05:25 AM
Merc 1250 runs :) ... boat slow :( Matt Lang General 6 April 15th 04 05:31 PM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM
Used boats: Merc. 5.7 EFI vs. Mag MPI Economy Slambram General 4 December 18th 03 01:28 PM
Merc 5.0 MPI or Volvo 5.0Gxi/SX David Ditch General 1 October 28th 03 11:28 PM