Tom Treadway

Default Bottom paint in Clearwater area

I'm looking for a place in the Clearwater area to get the bottom of my boat
painted. I'm ok with going as far north as Tarpon Springs. South to Great
American or Maximo takes too long. Any suggestions?

BTW, my boat is a 45' powerboat, and I'm looking to get something like
Interlux Micron ablative, or anything else that is high quality.

Thanks,
TT

Tom Treadway

Funny. :-)

I have to admit it is a little strange to see boat-related posts in this
newsgroup.

TT

"bb" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:07:56 GMT, "Thomas"
wrote:

hello group I have an older mercury 50hp outboard with long shaft my

lower
end cracked over the winter does anybody know where to get one used or

new
at a good price? Please email me at
"Tom Treadway" wrote in message
r.com...
I'm looking for a place in the Clearwater area to get the bottom of my

boat
painted. I'm ok with going as far north as Tarpon Springs. South to

Great
American or Maximo takes too long. Any suggestions?

BTW, my boat is a 45' powerboat, and I'm looking to get something like
Interlux Micron ablative, or anything else that is high quality.

Thanks,
TT

I'm looking for a reasonably priced vet in the St. Petersburg area.

bb

bb

On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:19:47 GMT, "Tom Treadway"
wrote:

Funny. :-)

I have to admit it is a little strange to see boat-related posts in this
newsgroup.

TT

Back to your post. For years Ross Yacht on Island Estates in
Clearwater had a great reputation as a boat yard producing quality
work, but you pay for it. They have recently changed hands so I'm not
sure of their current status as far as quality work goes. I know
there must be a couple of good yards in Tarpon Springs. If you don't
come up with something, I'd suggest calling Mark at Yacht Registry
(brokerage) in Dunedin. He should have a good opinion of the yards up
that way.

Good luck,
bb

Tom Treadway

I just had someone else recommend Ross Yacht. I checked their prices, and
they are outrageous! For 2 coats of ablative paint, sandblasting the
hardware, etc., they wanted $52/ft!! I've found the exact same service in
Tarpon Springs and Clearwater Bay Marina for anywhere from $30-$42/ft. And
it's the EXACT same paint. The lady on the phone said that people are often
shocked at their price.

Thanks for your advice.

TT

"bb" wrote in message
Back to your post. For years Ross Yacht on Island Estates in
Clearwater had a great reputation as a boat yard producing quality
work, but you pay for it. They have recently changed hands so I'm not
sure of their current status as far as quality work goes. I know
there must be a couple of good yards in Tarpon Springs. If you don't
come up with something, I'd suggest calling Mark at Yacht Registry
(brokerage) in Dunedin. He should have a good opinion of the yards up
that way.

Good luck,
bb

Drew Shuller

Sounds like Ross Yacht does good work, doesn't have many come-backs, has
plenty of satisfied customers, and they really don't need any more! Sounds
like a cash cow to me.

One guy in my area that owns a mower shop charges $68/hr, normal is 40-50.
Why? He doesn't want to work that hard, and he has plenty of money already.

Drew

. ..

"bb" wrote in message
Back to your post. For years Ross Yacht on Island Estates in
Clearwater had a great reputation as a boat yard producing quality
work, but you pay for it. They have recently changed hands so I'm not
sure of their current status as far as quality work goes. I know
there must be a couple of good yards in Tarpon Springs. If you don't
come up with something, I'd suggest calling Mark at Yacht Registry
(brokerage) in Dunedin. He should have a good opinion of the yards up
that way.

Good luck,
bb

bb

On Wed, 19 May 2004 22:20:08 GMT, "Tom Treadway"
wrote:

I just had someone else recommend Ross Yacht. I checked their prices, and
they are outrageous! For 2 coats of ablative paint, sandblasting the
hardware, etc., they wanted $52/ft!! I've found the exact same service in
Tarpon Springs and Clearwater Bay Marina for anywhere from $30-$42/ft. And
it's the EXACT same paint. The lady on the phone said that people are often
shocked at their price.

Thanks for your advice.

As in most cases, you usually get what you pay for. The Ross that I
new had the same people around for 8 to 10 years. The Clearwater Bay
Marine ways I know is lucky to have people around 8 to 10 weeks.

Ross is in an area of very high priced real estate so I'm sure that
adds to their overhead. Also, you can't keep good help around for
long unless you are willing to pay. If you want to save a buck or two
I'd suggest checking further into some of the yards on the Anclote in
Tarpon Springs.

bb
Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Wow...when I was a kid, I used to scrape, sand and paint the bottoms of
your typical 16-18' runabout for $25 if the "customer" supplied the
paint and the barnacles on the bottom weren't too thick. I could make
$50-$75 on a Saturday - not bad for a kid in the late 1950s. I preferred
the clinker-built hulls, like Lymans and Cruisers and Thompsons...easier
to hide sloppy paint work in the shadows of those overlapping planks.
You could have any color you wanted, so long as it was Petit copper red.

Of course, gasoline for my boat was 19 cents a gallon, or free if I hit
the pumps at my father's marina.
Tom Treadway

That same job would cost about $700 today, and more if you have a lot of
other hardware in the water that needs to be cleaned and painted. And don't
forget the haul-out charge. One reason for the $700 is that a gallon of top
quality paint can cost up to $200 a gallon.

TT