BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT--Coming trade war with China (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/46083-ot-coming-trade-war-china.html)

[email protected] July 12th 05 12:58 PM

NOYB wrote:
"HarryKrause" wrote in message
Real Name wrote:
Wow, the picture I saw of your driveway was only about 30' to the road.
Did you driveway get it's master degree at Yale?

The photo was not shot with a 50 or 55 mm lens or equivalent.
It is 60' from the outside edge of my garage floor to the end of the part
of the drive where the boat is sitting, and 110' feet from the driveway
under the stern of the boat to my private road and another 30' feet of my
private road, which I also paved to a little traffic circle where the
county road ends. That's a bit over 200'.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

NOYB's jealous because he lives in a cookie cutter subdivision.

NOYB July 12th 05 02:35 PM

"Don White" wrote in message
Bert Robbins wrote:
"thunder" wrote in message

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:23:47 -0400, NOYB wrote:

Mutually Assured Destruction with economics instead of nukes? Sounds
like
we're in the second Cold War already.

LOL Pretty close to it. Although the whole theory of a "Global Market"
is that trading partners would have less antagonisms, not more. Still,
it
seems to be working. Who knows what our relations would be like with
China these past thirty years? Since Nixon went to Bejing they have
seemed relatively peaceful.

Trading partners? China is trying to take over the world and they have
chosen to do it economically. China's businesses are not independent from
government oversight and control.

We are in a hot economic war with China.

If that's the case, you're getting your ass whupped daily.

Whupped? Canada exports only $6 billion in goods to China. You guys export
$256 billion to the United States.

Your imports from the U.S. and China are $190 billion and $24 billion
respectively.

So your total trade with the US is almost 15 times higher than it is with
China. That's getting "whupped", eh?

NOYB July 12th 05 02:43 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Real Name wrote:
Wow, the picture I saw of your driveway was only about 30' to the
road.
Did you driveway get it's master degree at Yale?

The photo was not shot with a 50 or 55 mm lens or equivalent.
It is 60' from the outside edge of my garage floor to the end of the
part
of the drive where the boat is sitting, and 110' feet from the driveway
under the stern of the boat to my private road and another 30' feet of
my
private road, which I also paved to a little traffic circle where the
county road ends. That's a bit over 200'.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

NOYB's jealous because he lives in a cookie cutter subdivision.

I don't live in a subdivision any more. I moved out of one about a year
ago, and now live in a house with boating access from the dock in my
backyard.

Here's where I *used to* live:
http://www.oldecypress.com/

NOYB July 12th 05 02:53 PM

Real Name wrote:
Wow, the picture I saw of your driveway was only about 30' to the
road.
Did you driveway get it's master degree at Yale?

The photo was not shot with a 50 or 55 mm lens or equivalent.
It is 60' from the outside edge of my garage floor to the end of the
part
of the drive where the boat is sitting, and 110' feet from the driveway
under the stern of the boat to my private road and another 30' feet of
my
private road, which I also paved to a little traffic circle where the
county road ends. That's a bit over 200'.
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

NOYB's jealous because he lives in a cookie cutter subdivision.

Doubtful. Though I wouldn't live in that part of Florida. Too hot, too
many hurricanes.

If I didn't live on the water, I'd go inland about 8-10 miles and buy about
4-5 acres. The lots in Golden Gate estates are all 660' deep...with either
75, 150, or 250 of frontage. The layout of the area looks alot like what's
in Harry's pictures of his driveway and surrounding area, except for the
type of trees (we have cypress trees mostly). 5 years ago, you could have
bought a lot out there for about $15k. Now, the 75x660 lots are selling for
$200k and up. The 4-5 acre lots are selling for $600-800k.

Heck, I'm on a little less than a third of an acre now, and these lots are
going for a million and up.

I just had the house reappraised in order to draw some more equity out to
pay off my school loan, and to use the extra cash to buy some investment
properties... and the appraisal came back 43.5% higher than the one done in
April 2004.

The heat and hurricanes obviously aren't scaring away the folks looking to
move to Naples.

NOYB July 12th 05 02:56 PM

"Real Name" wrote in message
NOYB,
Do you have a 300' driveway? ; )

Not even if you added 5 of my neighbors driveways to it.

NOYB July 12th 05 03:12 PM

Real Name wrote:
[...]

I hope for your family's sake your resl estate appraisal bubble doesn't
burst.

It really won't hurt me. I can afford the payment on my current home even
if the rates increase a lot 5 years from now when the loan "balloons".

The investment property that I'm looking to get into is actually a home my
brother is trying to buy. He just took a job down here, and cannot afford
to pay what they're getting for entry-level single family homes. I'm
planning on putting up 20%, and he'll add 10%. The remaining 70% will be a
mortgage in his name. When the house is sold, I'll get back 20% of the
sales price (less real estate commissions). I really don't need the money
until I retire, so as long as he sells it sometime in the next 26 years,
I'll be fine.

A house I built in 1982 in a really nice Virginia suburb of DC for around
$275,000 is now on the market for $1,400,000. I built the house well, but
it is only a 2x6 wood frame house, not masonry, and after 20+ years some
of its systems are wearing out.

I understand how the real estate game is played, but these "value"
increases are just plain insane.

I agree that they're nuts. In Punta Gorda, almost 25% of the properties
being bought are bought by speculators who have no plan to even occupy the
home. Those are the folks that will get burned by a bursting bubble. If
you're buying the house to live in, and have no need to sell it anytime
soon, then what's the difference if prices tumble?

NOYB July 12th 05 03:15 PM

NOYB wrote:
"Real Name" wrote in message
NOYB,
Do you have a 300' driveway? ; )

Not even if you added 5 of my neighbors driveways to it.

Yeah, well, you have a dock. I don't. I'd rather have the dock. But not
in hurricane alley.

I'm 11 1/2 feet above mean sea level. It'd take a slow moving Category 4 or
5 hitting on high incoming tide to flood my house.

We had 100 mph plus winds from Charley, and only lost a dozen and a half
roof tiles (no leaks though) and the screens in our lanai.

That's a small price to pay for immediate access to the water.

John H. July 12th 05 03:41 PM

On 11 Jul 2005 21:05:29 -0700, " wrote:

wrote:
NOYB wrote:

This is more than US vs. China. Japan, Europe, and Canada are joining the
US in our displeasure with the unfair trade practices being committed by
China. Today's data will bring this issue to the forefront...and it won't
be long before the "T" word (tariffs) becomes all the talk in the Capitol
and on the news. Just watch.

That's odd, I thought that Republicans praise the mantra of government
not getting involved in private business practices.

Very reliably- if and when the private business is owned by a
Republican. :-)

Surely there are no Democrats owning private businesses?

--
John H.
On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD

Don White July 12th 05 04:11 PM

Bert Robbins wrote:

Don, you have a real inferiority complex. You should seek professional help.

That so Dr. Robbins? Is this your "SOBER' opinion?