Default Stripped screw holding swim platform

The screws holding the swim platform stripped out of the fiberglass on
one side of the platform.(Oversized guy yanking on the platform) What
can I squirt into the stripped holes to dry out the water(water
splashed into the holes returning to the dock) without delaminating the
transom wood. And can I just go back with the next larger size screw?
The mounting is just above the water line but gets wet with splashing
waves. Thanks.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:02:15 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Let it dry out and reinstall a SS bolt with a backing plate. A dab of
3M 5200 in the hole will take care of the rest.

Use a hair drier to get most of the water, then let it air dry.

A small application of 5200 will fix about anything. Get the quick
set version of 5200 otherwise you'll be waiting forever to it to set.
Don White

HarryKrause wrote:

From the description, I wonder if whoever first attached the swim
platform merely screwed it into the wood transom core, rather than
through-bolting it. If that is the case, I would remove the other
screw(s) too, and then through drill the transom as you suggest, but
with slightly larger holes, then, as you suggest, fill them with epoxy,
redrill through the transom and attach the nut over a backing plate.

Screws are not a good way to attach fittings to fiberglass boats.

You got that right. Last season I ordered a four step ss boarding
ladder for my sailboat. I have a 4" x 18" 1/8" thick ss backing plate
for it. If that pulls out, I'll go on Dr. Phil's diet.

Can I use fender washers as a backing plate. And can I use a through
bolt without doing the larger hole/epoxy route using either 5200 or
4200?

Shortwave Sportfishing

On 4 Jul 2005 21:24:22 -0700, "
wrote:

Can I use fender washers as a backing plate. And can I use a through
bolt without doing the larger hole/epoxy route using either 5200 or
4200?

All stainless hardware would work fine. If you are going to use 5200,
get the quick set version - it works great.

Swim Platform Bill Custom Boat Building 1 May 19th 05 01:02 PM
Swim platform question DM General 2 September 29th 04 07:37 PM
Swim Platform Extension Andy Stewart Boat Building 0 May 23rd 04 03:11 PM
Mounting outboard on swim platform question Capt. Frank Hopkins General 5 January 30th 04 07:29 PM