BoatBanter.com

-   -   Stripped screw holding swim platform (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/45755-stripped-screw-holding-swim-platform.html)

[email protected] July 3rd 05 10:42 PM

Stripped screw holding swim platform

The screws holding the swim platform stripped out of the fiberglass on
one side of the platform.(Oversized guy yanking on the platform) What
can I squirt into the stripped holes to dry out the water(water
splashed into the holes returning to the dock) without delaminating the
transom wood. And can I just go back with the next larger size screw?
The mounting is just above the water line but gets wet with splashing
waves. Thanks.

Shortwave Sportfishing July 4th 05 01:24 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:02:15 GMT, Dan Krueger
wrote:

Let it dry out and reinstall a SS bolt with a backing plate. A dab of
3M 5200 in the hole will take care of the rest.

Use a hair drier to get most of the water, then let it air dry.

A small application of 5200 will fix about anything. Get the quick
set version of 5200 otherwise you'll be waiting forever to it to set.

Don White July 4th 05 01:41 AM

wrote:

The screws holding the swim platform stripped out of the fiberglass on
one side of the platform.(Oversized guy yanking on the platform) What
can I squirt into the stripped holes to dry out the water(water
splashed into the holes returning to the dock) without delaminating the
transom wood. And can I just go back with the next larger size screw?
The mounting is just above the water line but gets wet with splashing
waves. Thanks.

When I rebedded a bunch of my fittings I drilled the original hole
oversize...dabbed fibreglass epoxy all around the inside of the hole,
let it dry and then drilled out to the correct size. I used larger
backing plates and bedded fitting with 3M 4200.

Don White July 4th 05 03:33 AM

HarryKrause wrote:

From the description, I wonder if whoever first attached the swim
platform merely screwed it into the wood transom core, rather than
through-bolting it. If that is the case, I would remove the other
screw(s) too, and then through drill the transom as you suggest, but
with slightly larger holes, then, as you suggest, fill them with epoxy,
redrill through the transom and attach the nut over a backing plate.

Screws are not a good way to attach fittings to fiberglass boats.

You got that right. Last season I ordered a four step ss boarding
ladder for my sailboat. I have a 4" x 18" 1/8" thick ss backing plate
for it. If that pulls out, I'll go on Dr. Phil's diet.

[email protected] July 5th 05 05:24 AM

Can I use fender washers as a backing plate. And can I use a through
bolt without doing the larger hole/epoxy route using either 5200 or
4200?

Shortwave Sportfishing July 5th 05 11:04 AM

On 4 Jul 2005 21:24:22 -0700, "
wrote:

Can I use fender washers as a backing plate. And can I use a through
bolt without doing the larger hole/epoxy route using either 5200 or
4200?

All stainless hardware would work fine. If you are going to use 5200,
get the quick set version - it works great.