about time

Default Velvet Drive Transmission Question

I just bought a 1989 boat with twin Crusader 454's and velvet drive
transmissions. Simple questions.
Do you check the transmission fluid with the engine running, or shut
off. I'm getting conflicting opinions on this although you'd think it
was a simple question.

Also, is there any easy way to get rid of just a little fluid if it is
overfilled. I drained it using the plug in the bottom and it's not a
pretty job.

Thanks.
Doug Kanter

"about time" wrote in message
om...
I just bought a 1989 boat with twin Crusader 454's and velvet drive
transmissions. Simple questions.
Do you check the transmission fluid with the engine running, or shut
off. I'm getting conflicting opinions on this although you'd think it
was a simple question.

Also, is there any easy way to get rid of just a little fluid if it is
overfilled. I drained it using the plug in the bottom and it's not a
pretty job.

Thanks.

Extra fluid: Turkey baster, or an ear syringe from the baby section of a
pharmacy. Probably best not to use either tool for its normally intended
purpose afterward.

Gordon

Run the engine to warm things up and circulate the velvet drive fluid
thru the coolers. Shut down and immediately check levels before the fluid
flows back from the coolers.
Gordon
om...

Stern Drive Question John General 6 April 29th 04 06:56 AM
B-W Velvet Drive clunking Charles T. Low General 21 February 18th 04 05:45 PM
Effect of trailer towing on transmission Don White General 14 February 3rd 04 01:45 AM
Winterizing question plus. rock_doctor General 3 October 19th 03 02:24 AM
Velvet Drive Slipping Keith General 0 August 4th 03 02:23 PM