Gary Warner

Default Thefts from Trailer ... Locking Lug Nuts ???

I once had my boat broken into and another time had the jack
stolen off my trailer. Both of these occurred at a public boat ramp
in the Boston area. But each happened when I left things there
overnight. A very stupid decision on my part...but I did not
have a garage or land (just an apartment).

ANYWAY, so now we're building our trailer and getting
ready to (HOPEFULLY!) start using this boat soon. I'm
quite certain we will never leave the boat anywhere
by itself. But the trailer is a different situation.

Do others have stories and/or products they use to
insure that the trailer is not messed with? I know
of the devices that go into the ball socket. It
trailer theft common?

Ok, more specific question: We just made the spare
tire holder. The tire currently is just on there with
two lug nuts. It would be SO easy for someone to
take it. I could use a cable and lock it to the frame.

Has anyone use locking lug nuts?

Anyway, not too concise - sorry. Just thinking out loud
so any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Gary

William G. Andersen

Sorry you were a victim. I'm lucky, naive, or both.
I looked at locks when I bought a spare tire carrier and didn't get one
because none of them looked capable of stopping a thief, only of being a
nuisance to me.
I have a lock on the trailer coupling handle that looks pretty sturdy. It
also keeps the handle from releasing, which gives me comfort when towing the
trailer.
One tip that has been helpful to me: I always use the same tow vehicle, so I
have a fanny pack for the boat ignition key, trailer lock/trailer hitch key,
spare handkerchief and wallet. The wallet is designed for a fishing
license - it has a lace to hang around your neck, several window pockets
(fishing, boat, trailer license) a zipper pouch for change, and a billfold.
I keep it in the tow vehicle except when boating, then I put my car keys in
it and stow it under the instrument panel of my boat.
I keep an assortment of change and bills in the wallet, since I don't always
have much money with me. If anything happens, I'll have change for a phone
call and soda pop, and a few bucks for a sandwich.
Keeping the car keys in the pack while boating prevents the chance of
getting the electronic lock/alarm on the car key ring from getting wet. I
usually wade into knee deep water to launch/recover, and once had the keys
in my swim shorts while water skiing.

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

[...]

John H

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:42:53 -0400, "Gary Warner" wrote:

[...]

Not sure how you have your tire mounted, but I run a chain through the holes in
the wheel, around the tongue and back through another hole. Then I put a padlock
thru the chain links. The key to the lock goes on the key ring with the pickup
key so I always know where it is.

Works for me.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Wayne.B

wrote:
Has anyone use locking lug nuts?

Anyway, not too concise - sorry. Just thinking out loud
so any comments or suggestions welcome.

I have removed my spare tire carrier for everything but long haul
tows. It's just as easy for me to throw a spare tire in the back of
the truck and I don't have to worry about the carrier or tire going
missing at my storage yard.

I use 4 locks when I leave the trailer for storage: one with a
locking pin through the hitch release lever (which I also use
underway), a cylinder lock that goes into to the front of the hitch
socket, a padlock and stainless steel cable on each set of tires
locking them to the frame. It's possibly overkill but no losses so
far, and it only takes a few minutes to lock everything up.

CCred68046

Has anyone use locking lug nuts?

Total waste of money. Pound an old socket on it and twist it right off. Mac
even sells a set to do it.

In most cases the ONLY person the lock stops is the OWNER when they strip out.

Marshall Banana

Also Sprach Gary Warner :

Do others have stories and/or products they use to
insure that the trailer is not messed with? I know
of the devices that go into the ball socket. It
trailer theft common?

If people want it, they'll figure out how to take it. When I was a kid,
we kept the boat in the water year round and stored the trailer on the
side yard. Pop decided to change the wheel bearings, so he moved it to
the driveway, and put it up on cinderblocks. Then he discovered that he
had bought the wrong size bearings, so he left it there overnight
intending to exchange the bearings the next day. Overnight, somoeone
stole the trailer, with with no wheels or hubs, AND the cinderblocks it
was sitting on. Have no idea how they did it, it was a hefty galvanized
frame for a 21 foot boat. Probably weighed way over 500 pounds.

Dan

--
The bomb will not start a chain-reaction in the water converting it all to
gas and letting the ships on all the oceans drop down to the bottom. It

Vice Adm. W.H.P. Blandy, Cmdr Joint Task Force 1, Operation Crossroads, 1946
Tuuk

Ya, it is a shame, I do a lot of trailering and leaving the oldsmobile and
trailer in public places for short periods of time. In Canada, I have
launched for many water systems such as the Trent, 1000 islands, all around
the great lakes, and all over some of the lakes up in North Ontario, not
once had a problem, left trailer and car there for weeks. In the States, at
the Statue of Liberty State Park had problems, many places in the Keys had
problems, people always steal the battery from the car. Chesapeake Bay at a
State Park, near Annapolis I had no problem (it had security). So I guess
that shows the the Canadian side offered me a more secure feeling of leaving
my belongings without worry, but on the U.S. side something has happened
almost every time. Just lock everything up, you cannot protect against
everything, if the convicts want to get it, they will.

Also Sprach Gary Warner :

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 10:22 PM
Electric Trailer Brakes in Salt Water - Am I Nuts? dbk General 3 December 23rd 03 04:12 PM
Where to find ramp stories? designo General 15 December 9th 03 09:57 PM
Trailer Brakes: Electric vs Hydraulic-Surge Gary Warner General 25 October 2nd 03 02:22 AM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM