John H

Default Thefts from Trailer ... Locking Lug Nuts ???

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:42:53 -0400, "Gary Warner" wrote:

I once had my boat broken into and another time had the jack
stolen off my trailer. Both of these occurred at a public boat ramp
in the Boston area. But each happened when I left things there
overnight. A very stupid decision on my part...but I did not
have a garage or land (just an apartment).

ANYWAY, so now we're building our trailer and getting
ready to (HOPEFULLY!) start using this boat soon. I'm
quite certain we will never leave the boat anywhere
by itself. But the trailer is a different situation.

Do others have stories and/or products they use to
insure that the trailer is not messed with? I know
of the devices that go into the ball socket. It
trailer theft common?

Ok, more specific question: We just made the spare
tire holder. The tire currently is just on there with
two lug nuts. It would be SO easy for someone to
take it. I could use a cable and lock it to the frame.

Has anyone use locking lug nuts?

Anyway, not too concise - sorry. Just thinking out loud
so any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Gary

Not sure how you have your tire mounted, but I run a chain through the holes in
the wheel, around the tongue and back through another hole. Then I put a padlock
thru the chain links. The key to the lock goes on the key ring with the pickup
key so I always know where it is.

Works for me.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD