dbk

Default Electric Trailer Brakes in Salt Water - Am I Nuts?

Hi,

I am planning a two-axle EZ-loader trailer with electric brakes. Does
anyone have experience using these in salt water? I know some of the
older systems do not hold up on salt water, but the gentlemen I spoke
with at EZLoader said that there brake system is fully sealed and they
have had no complaints regarding corrosion.

Thanks,

dbk
JDavis1277

Yes, I think you're nuts.

Surge brakes are tried and true. Your salesman likes electric brakes? Do they
cost more? You'll have to install a controller in the tow vehicle. If, for
any reason, you'd need to tow the trailer with another vehicle you'll have to
use one with a controller installed.

Electric brakes are fine for RVs and such.

Butch
BB

If the brakes get wet (with salt water) they will rust.
No amount of fresh water flushing will prevent it..
I had onboard fresh water system that sprayed water in the drums to flush
out the salt after launch, slowed the damage, but still ended up with rusted
junk for brakes.
Didn't try disk type brakes, might have been better.
I don't believe salt water and brakes are compatable, electric or otherwise

Bill

"JDavis1277" wrote in message
Yes, I think you're nuts.

Surge brakes are tried and true. Your salesman likes electric brakes? Do

they
cost more? You'll have to install a controller in the tow vehicle. If,

for
any reason, you'd need to tow the trailer with another vehicle you'll have

use one with a controller installed.

Electric brakes are fine for RVs and such.

Butch

Ron White

I have used electric brakes on several trailers. They work. Main problem was
the axle grease seals leaking grease onto the drum surface where the
magnetic pucks slide and the grease greatly reduces (read kills) the braking
action. SS sleeves on the axle grease seal land will stop that. There are
some anti-corrosion parts available but not much. However, there a few
moving parts and as long as the magnets can grip you will get decent braking
action. So answer is, I don't know if they will work OK for you but
contrary to what some might think (say), they will work.

--
Ron White
My boatbuilding website is: