Default Outboard Engine change out check list?

A friend of mine is pulling his old 100 Hp johnson and replacing it
with a similar V4 johnson he bought used. He knows very little about
working on outboards. I know just maybe a little more than he does.

The mounts look exactly the same. Same looking motors (I cant remember
what year both are early 80s). Besides making sure the holes line up
on the transom. That all the ajustment pin points are the same on the
motor to be installed.. And knowing how to hook everything back up is
there anything else I should consider here? Is it pretty
straightforward? Any common mistakes here?

How about the picking up of the old motor? Where to attach the
come-along or cherry pick to to pick it off the transom?
Gary Warner

wrote in message

We took my Mercury off my last boat and reinstalled it (so we could tip
the hull over to paint and fix things. Some things:

-- When we put the engine back on we put some metal plates on the
inside of the transom to help distribte the weight more.

-- Don't forget to calk the holes with something (M101 ??).

-- Takes plenty of pictures of how the cables are setup. Your situation
is somewhat different because it's two different engines. But we had only
written down how the cables went. We did a pretty good job...except
when we backed the trailer into the water, started the engine, and then
I tried to back the boat off....it went forward! Oooops.

-- We didn't use a come-along. We pulled the boat under a tree. Tied a big
rope
from the engine up to a very strong branch. Undid the bolts. Drove the
trailer
away. My mom let that 115 HP engine hang there in the tree right in the
entrance
to our driveway for something like two weeks. Our joke was, "You might be
a redneck IF you have a boat motar hanging in your tree..."

Good Luck.

Garth Almgren

On 5/11/2004 12:41 PM, Gary Warner wrote:

wrote in message

We took my Mercury off my last boat and reinstalled it (so we could tip
the hull over to paint and fix things. Some things:

-- When we put the engine back on we put some metal plates on the
inside of the transom to help distribte the weight more.

Always a good idea. When I remount my motor, I'm going to put an
aluminum plate on the outside as well.

-- Don't forget to calk the holes with something (M101 ??).

Just what *is* the best kind of caulk to use on through-transom bolts,
anyway? Is 101 good enough?

5200 would probably do the job just fine, but it's a *little* too
permanent for for my tastes.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Tony Thomas

Other than what the others have said, the throttle and shift cable may need
adjusting for the different engine.
Make sure the shift cable is adjusted so you have good forward, reverse, and
neutral engagement. You can check this in the driveway by having someone
spin the prop w/ their foot while shifting. Should engage solid and
disingage with no clicking.
Make sure the throttle cable is adjusted so when in neutral it is tight
against the idle stop and when full throttle the throttle plates are level.
You might also find that you need to adjust the idle speed once you get it
in the water. Should be set for 600 to 800 rpms in gear at idle in the
water. Lower is always better as long as it will run smooth and not die
when you shift into gear. This will be about 1000 in neutral usually but
again, adjust for in gear.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com