Gary Warner

Default Outboard Engine change out check list?

wrote in message

We took my Mercury off my last boat and reinstalled it (so we could tip
the hull over to paint and fix things. Some things:

-- When we put the engine back on we put some metal plates on the
inside of the transom to help distribte the weight more.

-- Don't forget to calk the holes with something (M101 ??).

-- Takes plenty of pictures of how the cables are setup. Your situation
is somewhat different because it's two different engines. But we had only
written down how the cables went. We did a pretty good job...except
when we backed the trailer into the water, started the engine, and then
I tried to back the boat off....it went forward! Oooops.

-- We didn't use a come-along. We pulled the boat under a tree. Tied a big
rope
from the engine up to a very strong branch. Undid the bolts. Drove the
trailer
away. My mom let that 115 HP engine hang there in the tree right in the
entrance
to our driveway for something like two weeks. Our joke was, "You might be
a redneck IF you have a boat motar hanging in your tree..."

Good Luck.