Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gary Warner

Default What they didn't teach you in the Boating Safety course...?

When I was looking to buy my first boat I started coming
to this newsgroup and decided to take a boating safety
course. I took, and passed with flying colors, the local
Coast Gurard Power Squardon course. (Or some such
name, don't have the cert handy.)

And yes, it was very useful and the people teaching it are
not to blame for anything that happened to me and I'd
certainly reccomend it.

But there are a few things that I wish they'd covered or
stressed more. I offer these now and ask others to
add to the list in hopes it will help someone else.

WEATHER: Yes, weather was presented. And looking over
the materials I see clear (but short) warnings about knowing
what the weather will be. The thing is, I'm not one normally
to worry much about weather. On land, short of a tornado
or some storm that is ALL OVER the news, one can go
out and do just about anything. The worst that happens is
you have to cancel your plans and drive back home. But
on the water things a TOTALLY different. What seems like
just a little fog that will burn off can be very dangerous. Or
what feels like a little wind on land can be something you
don't want to be out in. ~~ The course tended to be calm
and talk about how to notice weather. There were some
very calm warnings to watch the weather carefully. But it
was not stresses how much different your attitude has to
be when going out on a boat - - especially if it's onto
any large body of water and not just a small lake.

Ok - I've got two or three more to add, but I'll do 'em later.

Gary