Greg

Default Need a suggestion for the trim wiring on my boat

.... USCG ignition protected....

This is under an outboard cover NOT in a bilge. BTW the Mercury unit DOES NOT
have any USCG approval numbers on it either so it is no more "approved" than
something you get from the auto parts store. If it doesn't say USCG and a
number it isn't USCG approved to a boarding officer.
If you take these apart they are made exactly the same (same covers, same
gasket) except the lawn tractor has a bigger contact pad.

Greg

These are round deals with 1/4-20 lugs sticking out the sides and smaller 10-24
coil terminals
trainfan1

Greg wrote:

... USCG ignition protected....

This is under an outboard cover NOT in a bilge. BTW the Mercury unit DOES NOT
have any USCG approval numbers on it either so it is no more "approved" than
something you get from the auto parts store. If it doesn't say USCG and a
number it isn't USCG approved to a boarding officer.
If you take these apart they are made exactly the same (same covers, same
gasket) except the lawn tractor has a bigger contact pad.

Maybe, but the OMC relays are mounted in a relay/connection box on board
the boat, and usually in the vicinity of fuel tanks and the battery(ies).

Rob
Greg

Maybe, but the OMC relays are mounted in a relay/connection box on board
the boat, and usually in the vicinity of fuel tanks and the battery(ies).

No wonder they went out of business ;-)
trainfan1

Greg wrote:
Maybe, but the OMC relays are mounted in a relay/connection box on board
the boat, and usually in the vicinity of fuel tanks and the battery(ies).

No wonder they went out of business ;-)

The location is up to the installer, not the factory. Our 1981 V-4, for
example, has never had a relay fail, but it was installed high & dry and
is stored inside. Our 1973 V-4, with the "lawn mower-automotive" type
relays, is all original too, although mounted lower in the Glastron and
next to the battery, it too is always indoors or in a hoist.

Rob

Greg

The location is up to the installer, not the factory

I find that strange. One of the advantages of an outboard is to keep everything
under one cover, with minimal connections between the motor and the boat.
This sounds like they are taking "arcy, sparky" stuff that could be safely out
behind the transom and putting it in the bilge.
trainfan1

Greg wrote:

The location is up to the installer, not the factory

I find that strange. One of the advantages of an outboard is to keep everything
under one cover, with minimal connections between the motor and the boat.
This sounds like they are taking "arcy, sparky" stuff that could be safely out
behind the transom and putting it in the bilge.

Power T&T was optional. The object is to reduce the weight of the
outboard itself.

Rob
Fish4Fun

I have determined that the relay switches are good.

As I was sitting here.... I got to thinking about the possibility that there
may not be a good ground on the trim motor itself.... I got this thought
after looking at the following diagram of a trim wiring circuit. Its located
at the very bottom of the page... scroll down, the second image:

http://www.brokeboats.com/trim.html

What do you think?

"Fish4Fun" wrote in message
I've got a problem with the trim on my boat.

If I move the switch up or down, I can hear the relay switches click (I
believe that they are relay switches) but the motor does not move up or
down.

In the throttle, I have a green wire, blue wire, and a red wire. I tracked
that down to a box on the boat. The blue and green wire connect into
separate relay switches, with the same color wire going back out and to

the
trim motor. The red wire connects to a panel in the box.

My experiments to try to correct the problem:

If I place the main wires to the trim motor onto the battery, it makes the
motor trim work, green + blue - makes the motor go down, blue + green -
makes the motor go up.

With it all hooked back up.... if I connect the red wire from the trim
switch to the negative on the battery.... and then connect a wire from the
negative to a bare spot on the green wire AND another wire from the

negative
to a bare spot on the blue wire.... the trim switch makes the motor move

up
and down just like it is supposed to.... BUT the wires got HOT HOT HOT and
some of the insulation burned.... spark etc.... so I stopped, decided that

really should see of someone would offer a suggestion.

Again, if it is all hooked up properly (So I believe) I just hear the

relay
switches click but no movement on the motor. I REALLY would appreciate

some
assistance!

trainfan1

Fish4Fun wrote:
I have determined that the relay switches are good.

As I was sitting here.... I got to thinking about the possibility that there
may not be a good ground on the trim motor itself.... I got this thought
after looking at the following diagram of a trim wiring circuit. Its located
at the very bottom of the page... scroll down, the second image:

http://www.brokeboats.com/trim.html

What do you think?

This diagram is for the older 3 wire system. I had assumed you had a 2
wire trim pump based on your posts, which uses the relays for current
reversing in addition to load handling. With the 2 wire system, each
lead takes a turn being "ground" depending on whether you are running
the pump "up" or "down".

So, what year is your outboard, and is it a 2 wire or 3 wire pump motor?

Rob
Fish4Fun

Hi,

Yes, it is an older boat... an 84 Welcraft 18' fisherman with a 83 140hp
johnson outboard. The trim switch indeed does have three wires, blue red and
green all with white stripes.

Keith