Fish4Fun

Default Need a suggestion for the trim wiring on my boat

Hi,

Yes, it is an older boat... an 84 Welcraft 18' fisherman with a 83 140hp
johnson outboard. The trim switch indeed does have three wires, blue red and
green all with white stripes.

Keith

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Fish4Fun wrote:
I have determined that the relay switches are good.

As I was sitting here.... I got to thinking about the possibility that

there
may not be a good ground on the trim motor itself.... I got this thought
after looking at the following diagram of a trim wiring circuit. Its

located
at the very bottom of the page... scroll down, the second image:

http://www.brokeboats.com/trim.html

What do you think?

This diagram is for the older 3 wire system. I had assumed you had a 2
wire trim pump based on your posts, which uses the relays for current
reversing in addition to load handling. With the 2 wire system, each
lead takes a turn being "ground" depending on whether you are running
the pump "up" or "down".

So, what year is your outboard, and is it a 2 wire or 3 wire pump motor?

Rob