trainfan1

Default Need a suggestion for the trim wiring on my boat

Fish4Fun wrote:
Hi,

Yes, it is an older boat... an 84 Welcraft 18' fisherman with a 83 140hp
johnson outboard. The trim switch indeed does have three wires, blue red and
green all with white stripes.

Keith

"trainfan1" wrote in message

Fish4Fun wrote:

I have determined that the relay switches are good.

As I was sitting here.... I got to thinking about the possibility that

there

may not be a good ground on the trim motor itself.... I got this thought
after looking at the following diagram of a trim wiring circuit. Its

located

at the very bottom of the page... scroll down, the second image:

http://www.brokeboats.com/trim.html

What do you think?

This diagram is for the older 3 wire system. I had assumed you had a 2
wire trim pump based on your posts, which uses the relays for current
reversing in addition to load handling. With the 2 wire system, each
lead takes a turn being "ground" depending on whether you are running
the pump "up" or "down".

So, what year is your outboard, and is it a 2 wire or 3 wire pump motor?

Rob

1983 is a 2 wire pump motor. They are all 3 wire trim switches. No
"ground" is necessary to the pump. How did you determine that the
relays are good? Your problem still points to the relays. I will
locate a wiring diagram and try to post it... or, is your email address
accurate?

Rob
Fish4Fun

I'd sure appreciate that.

I just figured that since they were clicking when they were sent a
signal.... they must be good. I have one spare that I slipped in, and that
responded the same.... so... I just figured I suppose that it wouldn't be
too difficult to just purchase two brand new ones and see what that does.

I certainly would appreciate the wiring diagram though, above is my true
email address.

Thanks!

"trainfan1" wrote in message

Fish4Fun wrote:

[...]

trainfan1

"trainfan1" wrote in message

Fish4Fun wrote:

[...]

The relays will continue to "click" long after the contacts have gone
bad. Try your third relay in place of the other one.

Diagram has been sent to you.

Rob