Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John

Default Stern Drive Question

I'm fairly new to boating. I bought a 2000 18' Regal with a 4.3L Volvo in
August, along with a Volvo 2plus4 extended warranty. Its in the shop right
now because the starter basically blew off the block a few weeks ago. The
mechanics are telling me there are traces of water in the cylinders and that
is what is causing the problem. I mentioned the engine had started dieseling
(running on) whenever you shut it off, and they say this is what caused the
problem. Apparently when an engine diesels the pistons go in reverse which
sucks water in through the exhaust riser (not covered by the warranty). When
I asked what cause the dieseling, they said probably bad gas (water in the
gas). Talking to a car mechanic, he said the primary causes of dieseling are
incorrect timing, of the carburetor being set too rich or lean. This hit me
funny because this same dealership did a 50 hour tune up on the boat in
November. I have maybe 20 - 40 hours on it since the tune up. Has anyone
else experienced or heard of this?