Joe

Default Stern Drive Question

"John" wrote in message
. com...
I'm fairly new to boating. I bought a 2000 18' Regal with a 4.3L Volvo in
August, along with a Volvo 2plus4 extended warranty. Its in the shop right
now because the starter basically blew off the block a few weeks ago. The
mechanics are telling me there are traces of water in the cylinders and

that
is what is causing the problem. I mentioned the engine had started

dieseling
(running on) whenever you shut it off, and they say this is what caused

the
problem. Apparently when an engine diesels the pistons go in reverse which
sucks water in through the exhaust riser (not covered by the warranty).

When
I asked what cause the dieseling, they said probably bad gas (water in the
gas).

I doubt your dieseling is due to water in the fuel, but it can be caused by
fuel with low octane . Other possible causes may be carbon buildup in the
cylinders, too much ignition advance, a vacuum leak, or too high idle speed.