Dry

Default Question about Teak

Other than oil, is there anything that I can use to keep the teak
looking it original color?
Harry Krause

Dry wrote:

Other than oil, is there anything that I can use to keep the teak
looking it original color?

You can apply a polyurethane varnish that is as colorless as possible,
but there will be a little color change. But then you are locked into
the varnish/revarnish cycle. Another problem with varnish on teak is
that it gives the wood a sheen that is kind of unnatural for teak.
Douglas St. Clair

Check out the "Two Quick ?s" post on 4/21.

I asked for suggestions on finishing teak in this post.

"Dry" wrote in message
Other than oil, is there anything that I can use to keep the teak
looking it original color?

R.W. Behan

Ho, Dry,

Varnish will protect the teak--for a year or so--and retain its color fairly
well. A product that is FAR more durable than varnish is Cetol, marketed by
Sikkens. The original version let the wood grain show through, but imparted
a reddish-brown hue to the teak. Personally, I find this quite acceptable,
and used the product on my boat about 6 years ago. With an annual
"maintenance" coat brushed right over the old surface, the boat still looks
great. Never have had to take it down to bare wood again. There is a newer
version that is lighter in tone than the original, so that may be closer to
what you're looking for. Some folks detest Cetol, others love it. But you
might want to look into it.

Fair winds,

Dick Behan

"Dry" wrote in message
Other than oil, is there anything that I can use to keep the teak
looking it original color?

DSK

Dry wrote:
Other than oil, is there anything that I can use to keep the teak
looking it original color?

Yep, lots of stuff.

One of the best prodects I know of (and this stuff has been on our deck
for over a year & a half) is Starbrite Teak Oil Sealer. It does look
just a bit orangey, but it's nowhere near as ugly as Cetol and unlike
Setol it really is durable, easy to apply, and doesn't need sanding to
touch up.

There are a number of good sealers & varnishes, the better ones with
higher UV resistance last quite well and look gorgeous (if the wood was
pretty to begin with, which a lot of teak on boats is not). That is what
we use on all the wood trim, IMHO real varnish has many advantages and
nothing else comes close in appearance.

I would not recommend polyurethane, it is every bit as laborious to
apply as varnish, it often is bubbly or cloudy for reasons nobody can
explain, it cannot be touched up in spots, and it doesn't last a bit
longer than traditional varnish (and I know this for a fact, because
this was on our boat when we bought it).

Some folks recommend Cetol but I don't like the way it looks (which is a
matter of personal taste, some do like it), and it doesn't seem to last
any longer than regular varnish. Several boats near us have Cetol
finishes and they seem to need touch up just as often... more, if anything.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Teakguard is the best nontoxic product out there. Make sure to clean
it with cleaner and bronze wool or you will waste your money.
Westminster Teak sells it in bulk discounts.