Doug Meredith

Default Which Used Ski Boat?

"Kevin" wrote in message
Thanks Willy, that is some good straightforward advice. I was kind of

going
down that path towards a v-drive.

One boat available in my area that looks interesting is a MAXUM, but

it's
not one the common name brands, do they make a decent platform?

Maxum is an I/O. VERY hard to maintain wakeboard speed, and slalom
wakes stinks.

I see lots of people saying "V" drives????????? You said slalom expert
use. and wakeboard intermediate use. That puts you in the Malibu
Response LX class. Great slalom wake, and drop the wedge for the
wakeboard. Tons of them on boattrader.com for under $20K
http://www.boattraderonline.com/adse...chprocess.html

Kevin

Actually, the maxum is a v-drive -
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/0/50711350.htm

but I've since learned it's a bayliner owned line, so that's out of the
question.

I think the slalom use will dwindle, I'm the only one in the family who is a
serious skier, and, as with snowskiing to snowboarding, I'm transitioning my
feet apart and giving up the old school sport. The thing to keep in mind is
we're coming from a 19' boston whaler - too light, no straight tracking, and
underpowered for slalom, too light for wakeboarding - so ANYTHING inboard
will work better for both applications.

One approach we're considering is buying something in the $16K range and
then adding wakebaording goodies like the tower, plate and/or ballast.

Thanks again everyone for the discussion, it's helping, keep it up!

"Doug Meredith" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote in message
Thanks Willy, that is some good straightforward advice. I was kind of

going
down that path towards a v-drive.

One boat available in my area that looks interesting is a MAXUM, but

it's
not one the common name brands, do they make a decent platform?

Maxum is an I/O. VERY hard to maintain wakeboard speed, and slalom
wakes stinks.

I see lots of people saying "V" drives????????? You said slalom expert
use. and wakeboard intermediate use. That puts you in the Malibu
Response LX class. Great slalom wake, and drop the wedge for the
wakeboard. Tons of them on boattrader.com for under $20K
http://www.boattraderonline.com/adse...chprocess.html

Tom Ruta

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:25:42 -0700, "Kevin"
wrote:

Actually, the maxum is a v-drive -
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/0/50711350.htm

Sure looks like an outleg attached to the reversed motor. BICBW
Reg

Partly that, also the fact that
THERE WILL NOT BE ANYONE IN FRONT OF THE DRIVER !!!
No kids acting up, no heads bobbing.

Not to flame a category of boat or owner, but we got
very nearly hit by ANOTHER goof ball driving around in a
floating play yard this sunday.
No, it wasn't on/in the course,
Yes we WERE in the track that is recognised as a traffic lane.

Ho Hum, watch for a thread about law suits against boat
manufacturers for designs that allow passengers to block the
view of the driver (-: Hmmm, not common in other vehicles.
Well I didn't want to get hurt enough to sue anybody anyway.

\R

Michael Rothwell wrote:

Bill Andersen wrote:
A bowrider's OK for skiing but won't produce the big wake that wakeboarders
want, even if you're loaded with people and gear.

This sounds backwards to me - I've never seen a "wakeboard" boat that
was NOT a bow rider. Most of the die hard skiers still prefer closed
bow boats because they are generally a little lighter and have a smaller
wake.

Michael

--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert

Kevin

Brunswick also owns mariner and mercury marine - companies within the
corporation with excellent heritages of their own, just like whaler, all
fine products

My understanding is that Maxum is a branded boat made by the bayliner
company - not a seperate company in the corporation- there is a big
difference.

is this true or not?

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Actually, the maxum is a v-drive -
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/0/50711350.htm

but I've since learned it's a bayliner owned line, so that's out of the
question.

That's a goofy position to take.
"Bayliner" doesn't own "Maxum" any more than Chevrolet owns Buick,

Pontiac, or
Cadillac.

Bayliner and Maxum are both trademarks of the Brunswick company. Bayliner

is
the more basic, no frills boat. If you are going to rule out Maxum because

the
company builds the less expensive Bayliner trademark, you will also want

to be
sure you don't look at Hatteras, Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, Meridian, Trophy,
Baja, and a few others.....all of which are Brusnwick products and just as
"owned by Bayliner" as the Maxum is.

While you're at it, make sure you don't even begin to consider anything

with a
Mercruiser engine. Yup. "Owned by Bayliner" too. :-)

Gould 0738

Brunswick also owns mariner and mercury marine - companies within the
corporation with excellent heritages of their own, just like whaler, all
fine products

My understanding is that Maxum is a branded boat made by the bayliner
company - not a seperate company in the corporation- there is a big
difference.

is this true or not?

Depends on the definition of "is".

Is the Maxum built by the same parent company that builds Bayliner? Yes, it is.
Along with a lot of other brand names.

Is the Maxum built identically to the Bayliner product and simply rebadged? No,
it is not.

Rough parallel: Ground beef and a medium
grade steak. Came from the same cow, have the same nutritional value, but most
people will pay slightly more for one than for the other because they see a
difference in value.

Maxum is more similar to Bayliner than it is to some of the other Brunswick
labels, but take a close look at the two boats and you will see why the Maxum
brings a little more money. There are boats on the market, (not bult by
Brunswick), that are probably not any better than a Maxum.
And that's why I remarked it might be silly to dismiss Maxum without even
looking at it because some dock-walking expert advisor gave the standard knock
against Bayliner and there is an association between the two boats.

(Workmanship is fairly close to about the same among most popularly priced,
mass-pro boats anymore. It's a production line assembly worker's job these
days, not a shipwright's trade.You'll find the majority of differences in
design, layup technique, and materials schedules.)

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Bill Cole

I would dismiss Maxim because it meets no of the criteria the man is looking
for, it is neither a ski boat or a wakeboard boat. It is a runabout, which
is nice for pulling water toys, but it won't give you a flat wake for skiing
or a rolling wake for wakeboarding.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
[...]

Gould 0738

I did some consulting for US Marine near Seattle. The same people who
design Bayliner also design Maxum. The same factories and workers are
used, and I believe the same molds, etc are used.

The same molds are not used.

For example; compare the 18-foot Maxum with the 18-foot Bayliner

Maxum:
LOA is 17'6"
beam is 7'
hull draft is 18"
deadrise is 19 degrees
weight is 2000 pounds.

The Maxum is built with an interior fiberglass liner, consistent with the
"three piece" construction technique used by many builders. (hull, interior
liner, deck).

Comparable 18-foot Bayliner:

LOA is 18' 0"
Beam is 7'6"
Deadrise is 17 degrees
Weight is 1878 pounds
Hull draft is 14"

Clearly *not* the same mold.

Rather than an interior fiberglass liner, the Bayliner uses "XL composite
panels" with a "lifetime limited guarantee against rot in hull, deck, and
upholstery components."

Some of the weight difference may be due to the difference in standard engines.
The Bayliner has a 90HP outboard as the standard engine, while the Maxum is
standard with a 3- liter stern drive. Once again, not the same mold at all.

Gould 0738

I would dismiss Maxim because it meets no of the criteria the man is looking
for, it is neither a ski boat or a wakeboard boat.

As anybody should dismiss a boat that they believe is not designed to perform
in the specific manner they are looking for.

That's different than refusing to consider a boat because it's built by
Brunswick.

Why So Few Pontoon Boat Ads? Jay Chan General 32 August 4th 03 08:16 PM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM
Replacing part of the boat floor.... HELP!! [email protected] General 6 July 29th 03 10:46 PM
Boat illegally docked? Chuck Tribolet General 5 July 11th 03 10:52 PM
Composite flooring on pontoon boat? Calif Bill General 3 July 1st 03 03:42 AM