Bill Cole

Default Which Used Ski Boat?

Do you want a ski boat or a wakeboard boat? The two are very different.

"Kevin" wrote in message
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times. I'm just looking for

starting point. I've been out of the ski boat space for a while now and
ready to purchase one after selling our whaler..

Budget: $20,000.00 (going used, obviously)
Application: Wakeboarding (intermediate), Skiing (expert), general

lounging
on the lake

Hoping to find something 1999-2000ish with a tower, or something in the

$18K
range so we can afford the wakeboarding tower. Don't have an affinity for
brands.

Just looking for some suggested years and models, and what in general to
look for.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Even the tournament ski boats of 10 years ago when I knew something about
them had a massive wake at 20mph and tiny wake at 35, so I am questioning
the specificity.

Something that will work for both preferably, but if we have to make a
choice, then wakeboarding.
None of the young-uns appreciate my skiing ability, anyway.

"Kevin" wrote in message
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times. I'm just looking

for
starting point. I've been out of the ski boat space for a while now and
ready to purchase one after selling our whaler..

Budget: $20,000.00 (going used, obviously)
Application: Wakeboarding (intermediate), Skiing (expert), general

lounging
on the lake

Hoping to find something 1999-2000ish with a tower, or something in the

$18K
range so we can afford the wakeboarding tower. Don't have an affinity

for
brands.

Just looking for some suggested years and models, and what in general to
look for.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Andersen

A bowrider's OK for skiing but won't produce the big wake that wakeboarders
want, even if you're loaded with people and gear.

"Kevin" wrote in message
on other "nice to have" would be a bow rider. not sure how much a
compromise that is for skiing?

"Kevin" wrote in message
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times. I'm just looking

for
starting point. I've been out of the ski boat space for a while now and
ready to purchase one after selling our whaler..

Budget: $20,000.00 (going used, obviously)
Application: Wakeboarding (intermediate), Skiing (expert), general

lounging
on the lake

Hoping to find something 1999-2000ish with a tower, or something in the

$18K
range so we can afford the wakeboarding tower. Don't have an affinity

for
brands.

Just looking for some suggested years and models, and what in general to
look for.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Cole

Wakeboard boats use transom plates and water ballast to have the boat sit in
the water to create a rolling wake that allows the wakeboarder to get air.

Visit http://www.boattraderonline.com/ and enter the details, they have a
large database of wakeboard boats for sale under $20,000

Ski Nautique, Mastercraft, Supra, Malibu all make good wakeboard boats.
Mastercraft uses a V-Drive on their wakeboard boats so the engine weight is
in the rear, it opens up the cockpit and keep the transom low in the water.
Moomba is a nice low costs wakeboard boat, but it is the Bayliner of
wakeboard boats, so don't expect the same quality you will find in the
others.

"Kevin" wrote in message
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times. I'm just looking

for
starting point. I've been out of the ski boat space for a while now

and
ready to purchase one after selling our whaler..

Budget: $20,000.00 (going used, obviously)
Application: Wakeboarding (intermediate), Skiing (expert), general

lounging
on the lake

Hoping to find something 1999-2000ish with a tower, or something in

the
$18K
range so we can afford the wakeboarding tower. Don't have an affinity

for
brands.

Just looking for some suggested years and models, and what in general

look for.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Rothwell

Bill Andersen wrote:
A bowrider's OK for skiing but won't produce the big wake that wakeboarders
want, even if you're loaded with people and gear.

This sounds backwards to me - I've never seen a "wakeboard" boat that
was NOT a bow rider. Most of the die hard skiers still prefer closed
bow boats because they are generally a little lighter and have a smaller
wake.

Michael

--
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert

FLY135

"Kevin" wrote in message
Even the tournament ski boats of 10 years ago when I knew something about
them had a massive wake at 20mph and tiny wake at 35, so I am questioning
the specificity.

What seemed massive on ski(s) may seem tiny on a wakeboard. Also a little
experience on a wakeboard may get you a couple MPH over 20 and the wake can
lose size pretty quickly. Whatever you get, you need to add weight to get a
good size wake. It's kind of hard to pin down what the best choice is, but
the Sport Nautique is a pretty good start for setting up a wakeboard boat.

john

there are many boats on the market today that are great dual purpose
boats that should meet your needs. Not to start any my boat is better
than yours, but a great choice to look at for great slalom wakes and
also good (not great, but good) wakeboarding wakes is the Malibu
Response LX. For the $20K range, you should be able to pick up a '97,
'98 RLX in decent shape. This boat is used on the pro tour for
slaloming, so you know the wake is very good. But with the wedge and
a fat sack or 2, it makes a very good slalom boat. The LX version
means it is an open bow.

"Kevin" wrote in message
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times. I'm just looking

for
starting point. I've been out of the ski boat space for a while now

and
ready to purchase one after selling our whaler..

Budget: $20,000.00 (going used, obviously)
Application: Wakeboarding (intermediate), Skiing (expert), general

lounging
on the lake

Hoping to find something 1999-2000ish with a tower, or something in

the
$18K
range so we can afford the wakeboarding tower. Don't have an affinity

for
brands.

Just looking for some suggested years and models, and what in general

look for.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Thanks Willy, that is some good straightforward advice. I was kind of going
down that path towards a v-drive.

One boat available in my area that looks interesting is a MAXUM, but it's
not one the common name brands, do they make a decent platform?

"Willy Boehnke" wrote in message

"Kevin" wrote in message

Something that will work for both preferably, but if we have to make a
choice, then wakeboarding.
None of the young-uns appreciate my skiing ability, anyway.

Since it is primarily for wakeboarding, I'd recommend getting the
biggest/newest V-drive you can find in your $20,000 budget. I bought my
1995 MC Maristar 200 VRS early last year for $18,500. You should be able

find something bigger and/or newer in that range now. As mentioned
previously, to get a big wake, you'll have to add weight to whatever you
buy, so plan for it.

If you need to add a tower to it, check out http://www.monstertower.com.

If
you like the MonsterTower and want to save $100, contact me.

Willy Boehnke

Tom Ruta

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:31:53 -0700, "Kevin"

One boat available in my area that looks interesting is a MAXUM, but it's
not one the common name brands, do they make a decent platform?

That is an inboard outboard; save your cash for a true V drive.
George Mills

Do yourself a favor and check out the Tige's with TAPS. No ballast tanks,
no flipping a plate under the boat. Just flip a switch on the throttle. You
should be able to pick up something in that price range and year.

A V-Drive makes for a better wake board boat but they are generally more
money. I would not recommend a 20ft V-Drive.

If it's a family recreation boat do get a bow rider.

"Kevin" wrote in message
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered a thousand times. I'm just looking for

starting point. I've been out of the ski boat space for a while now and
ready to purchase one after selling our whaler..

Budget: $20,000.00 (going used, obviously)
Application: Wakeboarding (intermediate), Skiing (expert), general

lounging
on the lake

Hoping to find something 1999-2000ish with a tower, or something in the

$18K
range so we can afford the wakeboarding tower. Don't have an affinity for
brands.

Just looking for some suggested years and models, and what in general to
look for.

Thanks in advance.

Why So Few Pontoon Boat Ads? Jay Chan General 32 August 4th 03 08:16 PM
Priming a jet boat? Ragdoll General 15 July 31st 03 05:02 AM
Replacing part of the boat floor.... HELP!! [email protected] General 6 July 29th 03 10:46 PM
Boat illegally docked? Chuck Tribolet General 5 July 11th 03 10:52 PM
Composite flooring on pontoon boat? Calif Bill General 3 July 1st 03 03:42 AM