jps

Default When would you board someone else's boat??

In article , gould0738
@aol.com says...

....snip

I though she was going to kill me. "What the hell are you doing, touching my
kid! You must be some kind of pervert! I think I'll call the police! You
asshole!.......etc,etc"

Man, between this experience and the story you related about the chance
encounter at the gas station, I'd be afraid to leave the house!!!

jps
Jim and Becky

Not much different than seeing the interior light on in the car parked next
to you. Yes I always pull the door handle. Usually its locked and I'm off
the hook...

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Just stuff to talk about:

Was reminded this morning of something that happened a few years back. I
was working on my boat in my slip. Another "non-resident" boat arrived and
docked next to me. They got off the boat and went up into the buy
restaurant. After a little while their stereo starts blaring. I later
figured out that it was a tape deck and must be the tape was at the end of
one side in a silent spot as they docked and got off the boat.

I didn't want to get onto their boat. I know I wouldn't want strangers
getting onto my boat. On the other hand it was a very simple thing to

turn
off the radio and get off the boat. But if they happend to be the people
sitting looking over the marina I could see someone come running down
yelling.

Yes, I could also go to the management. But this is a small place and
finding someone is sometimes a problem. And then they'd probably say,

"Hey,
don't bother me. Just get on his boat and shut it off."

I decided not to get on the boat. And when the guy came down I just asked
him to be more careful. He happened to be a very friendly type and said,
"Oh. You should have just shut it off."

On the other hand - same marina, different day - two of us who each have
boats there were talking. As the conversation went on and on we sat down

on
the railing of another "regular" in the yard. We were in no way on the

boat
nor was there almost any chance of us hurting anything. The guy happened

come by at that point and went OFF really HARD about it. I agree we

really
should't be touching his boat - but it was just a natural kind of thing.

So - What would you think if someone was boarding your boat?

Gould 0738

Man, between this experience and the story you related about the chance
encounter at the gas station, I'd be afraid to leave the house!!!

jps

It's truly a gift-

(The ability to get strange women so "excited")
John H

Default When to shoot a falre into someone elses bilge WAS: When would you board someone else's boat??

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:09:44 GMT, Terry Spragg
wrote:

Bob D. wrote:

Quick question along these lines, when is it okay to fire your flare gun
into somone elses bilge, or at least urinate upon their deck?

Two years ago, I was at Put-in-Bay sleeping one off at my favorite
facility, when at 7:30am one Sunday this "gentleman" started his go fast
boat which had twin unmuffled engines.

I was along the wall, the marina was packed, so this guy was perpendicular
to me along the pier squeezed between me and the boat in front of him.
His exhaust was about one foot away from the starboard side of my boat
hull.

Needless to say when he started the engine, I sprang up and almost crapped
my pants. Now I'll admit I am prejudiced against loud go fast boats, as
I don't personally see the use in the excess noise (same opinion of loud
harleys), but I've never begrudged someone over it. If its loud and
moving into my quiet zone, it will eventually move out of earshot and it's
no longer a problem. And even though it's 7:30am, he still has to start
his boat to leave, right?

Unfortunately this ****head didn't have a clue about courtesy and decided
he needed to start his engines long before unsecuring his spring lines, or
taking in his power line, water hose, or even his morning reign on the
porcelin throne. I guess he needed those hi performance ponies good and
warm huh? TWENTY FIVE MINUTES LATER, bozo the boater pulled out of the
marina.

By this time I couldn't get back to sleep as all I could her afterwards
were my friends and neighbors awake, talking about what a flamming asshole
this guy was.

What would your reaction be?

Bob Dimond

I would consider writing a gentle, threatening note signed "an
x-friend" warning him that his "lack of consideration" for other
persons' quiet enjoyment of their property could become reciprocal,
and surreptitiously gluing it to his windscreen with soluable glue
and a long handled applicator some lonely 4 AM. Don't go aboard. I
might also leave a rotton fish or bag of dog **** or a rotton egg or
six on his deck, not broken, just a warning gift. Use rubber gloves
and cut out words from some magazine or newspaper, and burn the book
with the holes in it. Don't cause any damage to his boat.

You could get several niegbours to sue him in small claims court
over it, a week or so apart. Expect to lose, but you might get lucky.

Get a really crappy sounding stereo turned up too loud to wake him
up to Yoko Ono at 6 AM a couple of times, he'll enjoy that. Make
sure your niegbours all laugh and applaud and toast to him with
grapefruit and liqueurs as soon as he comes on deck to complain.
They could all hold up score cards, like 2.3, 4.1, 6.8, etc. You
could make it into a really nice breakfast party. Tape it all and
send it to funniest videos, he'll look good on TV, you'll get some
money.

No point in politely advising him of your fellow boaters' feelings
in the presence of a witness or two, the clod would just go overly
defensive, right? It would be really nice if the ignorant asshole
would idle out of the slip under trolling motor power and start his
sonic warp drive up out side the breakwater if leaving early, but he
would never agree until he had suffered as you did.

You could clean a few guns where he could see you doing it, while
muttering insanely about sonic vandals and drinking heavily from a
whiskey bottle full of tea beside a bag of sugar. Tip a little sugar
into the bottle from time to time. Don't speak to him, just yell at
your "crew" below decks about inconsiderate assholes, while ignoring
him.

Print this out (minus my name, please), or something similar and
tell him someone asked you to give it to him, and that your
niegbours all voted it was the best thing to do, because you all did
not really want to upset him unneccessarily. Maybe they will all
sign it.

Or, just forgive him once or twice and pray for him.

Judge Judy would be on your side, so long as you did not instigate
violence or real damage. She hates noisy, inconsiderate people, too.

There is a site somewhere concerning really nasty dirty tricks, some
of which are essentially harmless, I don't remember the URL.

Terry K

Nicely said!

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Gary Warner

"Jim and Becky" wrote in message
Not much different than seeing the interior light on in the car parked

next
to you. Yes I always pull the door handle. Usually its locked and I'm off
the hook...

Well not quite the same. My conundrum was that this loud stereo was
bothering me
and it would have been sooooo easy to shut it off without doing any damage.

Coff

"Gary Warner" wrote in message ...
Just stuff to talk about:
So - What would you think if someone was boarding your boat?

I went out yesterday afternoon for a few hours after I left the
office. I returned, buttoned up the boat, chatted with the guy in the
next slip for a minute, and left.

That night, my wife, son, and I walk into the yacht club restaurant
and the guy whom I spoke with in the next slip earlier that day
immediatley got up from his table and crossed the room to inform me he
boarded my boat after I left. Seems I absent-mindely left the VHF
radio on up on the bridge. For reasons unknown, the squelch went nuts
and was crackling away up there under all that Sunbrella after I was
long gone. He shut the radio off.

I appreciated his letting me know, and he was very concerned about it.
I must admit I was a little confused at first, as I am pretty easy
going, and would assume (and appreciate) someone taking the time and
effort to unsnap the covers, climb the ladder, and kill the radio due
to my negligence. I felt I was the one to appologize. Thinking about
it now, if I had been in his place, I don't know if I even would have
thought to mention my boarding his boat to him. It just seems
logical.

I respect and admire (most of) my dock neighbors and trust thier
intentions. Perhpas less so if we had transient boaters in the
marina.

Coff

Damn, life is good!
basskisser

[...]

nor was there almost any chance of us hurting anything. The guy happened to
come by at that point and went OFF really HARD about it. I agree we really
should't be touching his boat - but it was just a natural kind of thing.

So - What would you think if someone was boarding your boat?

Why not lighten up a little, and listen to the music until the people got back?
basskisser

John H wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:29:20 -0400, "Gary Warner" wrote:

[...]

I would have turned down the radio and told the guy I did it to keep him out of
trouble with other boaters.

I'd sure hate to live next to someone as anal as you. Apparently it
was daytime, so why not just chill out a little?
trainfan1

Gary Warner wrote:
"John H" wrote in message

On the other hand - same marina, different day - two of us who each have
boats there were talking. As the conversation went on and on we sat down

on

the railing of another "regular" in the yard. We were in no way on the

boat

nor was there almost any chance of us hurting anything. The guy happened

come by at that point and went OFF really HARD about it. I agree we

really

should't be touching his boat - but it was just a natural kind of thing.

Not that's it's any more right, but I should be more accurate - it wasn't a
railing. It
was the top-deck - about 8" wide - as it runs down the side of the boat. Is
this
the gunnels? Anyway, really no chance of our sitting there doing anything
to his
boat. But also no reason at all we should be sitting or leaning on his boat.

Gunwhales.

Rob
Doug Kanter

"jps" wrote in message
In article , gould0738
@aol.com says...

...snip

I though she was going to kill me. "What the hell are you doing,

touching my
kid! You must be some kind of pervert! I think I'll call the police! You
asshole!.......etc,etc"

Man, between this experience and the story you related about the chance
encounter at the gas station, I'd be afraid to leave the house!!!

jps

"It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put on a shirt and a button
fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go
to the bathroom!" -Rodney Dangerfield

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM