Curly

Default Question about Outboard shift control box

My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks
Christopher Rugg

Curly wrote:

My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks

If you are referring to a knob on the shift/throttle box, I believe that
is to change the tension
on the throttle arm. tighten it and the throttle is stiffer moving
forward and backwards. Loosen it and the throttle moves more freely. At
least that is what I remember from one of my first boats equipped with a
johnson OB.

chris....
Joe

"Curly" wrote in message
om...
My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks

Could be a kill switch. My 200 has it in that position.
Does it have a hole through it, or a clip on the end?

trainfan1

Curly wrote:
My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks

It's the throttle friction adjustment. It onlt affects the throttle
travel effort, not the shift effort. "Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey".
It's a personal preference.

Rob
Curly

trainfan1 wrote in message ...
Curly wrote:
My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks

It's the throttle friction adjustment. It onlt affects the throttle
travel effort, not the shift effort. "Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey".
It's a personal preference.

Rob

It's not the kill switch, I believe it is the throttle friction
adjustment knob as suggested. I let my friend know and he will check
it out.

Thanks

basskisser

"Joe" wrote in message ...
"Curly" wrote in message
om...
My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks

Could be a kill switch. My 200 has it in that position.
Does it have a hole through it, or a clip on the end?

Nope. Wrong as usual. It's to adjust the effort required to move the
throttle. If too loose, the throttle won't stay opened up, if too
tight it won't move!
Joe

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Joe" wrote in message

"Curly" wrote in message
om...
My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks

Could be a kill switch. My 200 has it in that position.
Does it have a hole through it, or a clip on the end?

Nope. Wrong as usual. It's to adjust the effort required to move the
throttle. If too loose, the throttle won't stay opened up, if too
tight it won't move!

I said "could".
Mine "does" have the kill switch in that exact location.

Have you confronted your mother about your FAS yet?

basskisser

"Joe" wrote in message ...
"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Joe" wrote in message

"Curly" wrote in message
om...
My friend just got a boat with a 1989 Johnson 70hp outboard and we
don't know what the black knob on the control box is for. The knob is
just below the ignition and turns in both directions. It doesn't seem
to tighten or loosen, it just turns easily in both directions. Does
anybody know what this knob is for?

Thanks

Could be a kill switch. My 200 has it in that position.
Does it have a hole through it, or a clip on the end?

Nope. Wrong as usual. It's to adjust the effort required to move the
throttle. If too loose, the throttle won't stay opened up, if too
tight it won't move!

I said "could".
Mine "does" have the kill switch in that exact location.

Yep, and as usual, you "could" be dead ass WRONG, again.

Have you confronted your mother about your FAS yet?

My mother is dead, you worthless piece of ****.
Bill

"Joe" wrote in message

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Joe" wrote in message

"Curly" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Will Asskisser he was just doing the same thing you did. Talking down to
him like you think you know it all. "Nope. Wrong as usual". If you read all
the comment he said his was like that. Oh how did he know your mother was
dead. I didn't know either. I was going to tell you that your mother needs
to wash out our mouth out with soap or did she ever teach you any manners.
But since she is dead then I am sorry. You should have learned a thing or
two from her or did she die at an early age. Maybe next time Help someone
out and not jump down their throat. Like your mother taught you.Where on
Lake Lanier do you boat at again..

basskisser

"Bill" wrote in message
Will Asskisser he was just doing the same thing you did. Talking down to
him like you think you know it all. "Nope. Wrong as usual". If you read all
the comment he said his was like that. Oh how did he know your mother was
dead. I didn't know either. I was going to tell you that your mother needs
to wash out our mouth out with soap or did she ever teach you any manners.
But since she is dead then I am sorry. You should have learned a thing or
two from her or did she die at an early age. Maybe next time Help someone
out and not jump down their throat. Like your mother taught you.Where on
Lake Lanier do you boat at again..

Usually put in at Shoal Creek, but I can be anywhere on the lake. Why,
want to meet up somewhere?