RB

Default bondo repair question

I've got a couple of corners on my fiberglass CC boat transom that have been
smacked around during docking or something. Both corners are skinned.

I need to make a repair with compound contours. What's the best way to get
a smooth surface with bondo so it minimizes shaping with a rotary file or
grinder? Does working it with a wet wood paddle minimize cling and stick
and give me a reasonably smooth surface to work on?

Calif Bill

Do not know if Bondo is good for your repair. But to work Bondo, use a rasp
/ micro plane type shaping tool, while the Bondo is still semi soft. After
it first hardens, it is easy to work. Later it gets to the point of needing
a grinder and sander, but will be the consistency of Cheddar cheese for
awhile.

"RB" wrote in message
I've got a couple of corners on my fiberglass CC boat transom that have

been
smacked around during docking or something. Both corners are skinned.

I need to make a repair with compound contours. What's the best way to

get
a smooth surface with bondo so it minimizes shaping with a rotary file or
grinder? Does working it with a wet wood paddle minimize cling and stick
and give me a reasonably smooth surface to work on?

JLSAVARD

I'm not sure about Bondo, but I've used fiberglass and resin sandwiches made up
on Saran Wrap to patch a few times. Just make up the patch, stick it on and
mold it with your fingers. After it sets, the Saran peels off and leaves a
smooth surface. You may have to watch it for awhile until the resin "goes off"
to prevent running out.
Joe Savard
Lake Orion, MI