Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 30 May 2005 16:23:43 GMT, "rcoleman"
wrote:

Out goofing around yesterday, and found a 23' sailboat high and dry, maybe
15yds from a navigable creek. I'm guessing it could be dragged over the
marsh and into the water, but even with a really high lunar tide, it's going
to take some force. There isn't anything across from it to secure a winch,
and the creek isn't deep enough to get a big boat in to drag it off.

Any idea how I can do this?

A few ideas come to mind.

Cut a channel from the boat to the creek with a backhoe or dig it
yourself - fifteen yards isn't that far.

Cut it up into little pieces, move them, then reassemble them where
you want it.

Rent a skycrane to move it.

Ignore it and get on with your life.

Depending on how wide the creek is, you could put a truck on the
opposite side, install a drag line on a five rove block&tackle and
just pull it into the creek. This is probably how I would do it
assuming there is access to the other side of the creek.

Ironically I want to float it to another location and beach it there.

Which begs the question, why? :)

Later,

Tom

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:08:12 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

Kedge it off?

Hmmm - that might work. You'd need a heavy block and tackle set up
for a 23' boat though. Six/seven rove block at least.

Now that I think about it, that's as good a way as any. In particular
if you could use a truck to pull it up against the anchor.

Have to be a big anchor though if it's grounded.

Not a bad idea though.

Later,

Tom
Old Boat Goat

If you can't jack, you could try just levering it up high enough for rollers
or logs to slip under it. Use a log, stump, or something with some staying
power as a fulcrum. I've moved some pretty awkward things around with
levers, fulcrums and pivots.
As far as providing a winching anchor, will the ground around hold a
couple of good sized anchors, borrowed from other eager problem solvers that
I'm sure will jump into the project, and set them into the ground along with
a length of chain on each and a shackle to make a bridle. Might get away
with just one if the rollers/logs/planks do their job and the anchor hold is
good. Wouldn't really need a power winch either, just a come-along to roll
her along at about 25 feet per beer.

Don
an old boat goat

"rcoleman" wrote in message
Not a bad idea, but this thing is in a spot that won't permit much jacking
I'm afraid. Too soft. "Lift" isn't going to be a word that will fit into
this plan. The roller concept could be part of the answer. I'm most
concerned with how much power will be needed to drag the hull over the
land to water. If I had something to anchor a winch to, I could see it,
but I can't sink a 20 ft piling on the opposite side of the creek. This is
just for fun; a lark if you will. I need an another boat like a hole in
the head. But seeing a perfectly good boat sitting out of water just
calls to me. Perhaps it's just a Huck Finn adventure I'm looking for.
Thanks

"Old Boat Goat" wrote in message
I'd jack it up enough to get some logs, rollers, even some planks, the
wetter and slimier the better, under her, . With some long, strong 2 X 4s
you should be able to lever and skid her into the water. Use some plywood
between the lever and the boat to spread the load if you're concerned
about crushing anything.

Don
an old boat goat

"rcoleman" wrote in message
. ..
Out goofing around yesterday, and found a 23' sailboat high and dry,
maybe 15yds from a navigable creek. I'm guessing it could be dragged
over the marsh and into the water, but even with a really high lunar
tide, it's going to take some force. There isn't anything across from it
to secure a winch, and the creek isn't deep enough to get a big boat in
to drag it off.

Any idea how I can do this?

Ironically I want to float it to another location and beach it there.

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 31 May 2005 00:45:41 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

I vote for Oscar Brand

Be honest now - how many people here, without looking him up, know who
Oscar Brand is - excepting Gene and myself of course.

Good call on that one Gene. :)

Later,

Tom

Shortwave Sportfishing

wrote:

I vote for Oscar Brand

Be honest now - how many people here, without looking him up, know who
Oscar Brand is - excepting Gene and myself of course.

Good call on that one Gene. :)

Me, of course. Old farts tend to be more literate.

I prefer to be called a "Mellowed by age much like a fine wine fart" -
it has a little more cache than "old fart". :)

Later,

Tom
Don White

wrote:

Kedge it off?

Hmmm - that might work. You'd need a heavy block and tackle set up
for a 23' boat though. Six/seven rove block at least.

Now that I think about it, that's as good a way as any. In particular
if you could use a truck to pull it up against the anchor.

Have to be a big anchor though if it's grounded.

Not a bad idea though.

Later,

Tom

Who said..'give me a big enough lever & I'll move the world'?
Don White

wrote:

I vote for Oscar Brand

Be honest now - how many people here, without looking him up, know who
Oscar Brand is - excepting Gene and myself of course.

Good call on that one Gene. :)

Later,

Tom

Any relation to Oscar Myer?