Default Observations 2690 Glacier Bay

E-fishin'-cy

If I were a NW fish
Swimmin' in the deep blue sea
I'd hope and pray
No Glacier Bay
Cats were after me...

Especially after getting a close look at this month's subject for
"At the Ramp," a 2005 Glacier Bay 2690 Coastal Runner. This is a
boat that will have particular appeal to folks who take their fishing
seriously, but is still capable of extended weekend and family vacation
island-hopping excursions. We checked out a new boat being prepared for
delivery by I-90 Marine in Issaquah.

Glacier Bay power catamarans are built in Monroe, Washington. Company
founder, Larry Graf, created the patented hull design. Larry was born
into a boating family, and worked as a design engineer. After inventing
and developing over six-dozen products for the marine, automotive and
personal fitness industries Larry turned his attention to boat design
in the late 1980's. Owning a series of seventeen boats inspired Larry
to conclude that a displacement catamaran hull would offer an
attractive combination of stability, comfort, speed, and fuel
efficiency. Almost 20 years and over 2000 boats later, Glacier Bay Cats
adhere to Graf's original design principal and continue to attract
additional fans. The operation that began in a small workshop in Larry
Graf's backyard has expanded to an 82,000-sq. ft. facility that now
employs about 200 skilled workers.

The twin shallow-draft displacement hulls of a Glacier Bay catamaran
rely on buoyancy for support, rather than speed like traditional
planing vessels. As a Glacier Bay is slicing through, (rather than
bouncing over) the surface the slamming, jarring, and pounding
sensations often associated with "being up on plane" are minimized.
The catamaran design allows Glacier Bay to slip through the water
without building up a large bow wake, and energy not spent pushing a
pile of water around can contribute to getting a Glacier Bay and its
crew out to the fishing grounds, (or the anchorage), more economically.

According to Glacier Bay, independent tests by engine manufacturers
Honda and Yamaha have shown Glacier Bay Catamarans compare very
favorably to competing boats of similar size when rigged with identical
engines. In some cases the Glacier Bay boats are 5 mph faster, and in
the worst test example a Glacier Bay ran only =BD mph slower than a
competitor.

The 2690 Coastal Runner is hand laid fiberglass. Five layers of knitted
E-glass 24-ounce fabric and mat below the waterline create a hull
tapering from 5/8" to 7/8" in thickness. All 10 layers weave
together in the keel-tracking pad. A Kevlar stem and a foam-filled
collision bulkhead will provide additional security against damage
caused by striking anything while docking or underway. Like all Glacier
Bay boats, the 2690 is solid glass below the waterline, and cored with
=BD" PVC rigid foam above.

Glacier Bay uses wood in the transom and bulkheads of the 2690, and the
company makes some compelling arguments for the choice. The transom of
the 2690 is 1.5" XL-10 marine plywood, chemically treated and then
encased in structural resin and fiberglass.
Glacier Bay transoms are warranted against rot for the life of the
boat. The 2690 is rated for twin 150-HP engines, and the XL-10 marine
plywood is specifically used to provide a more solid foundation for
mounting heavy engines and absorbing the torque.

Glacier Bay's durable construction has come to the attention of the
US Navy. The navy uses Glacier Bay 2680's (the same boat as the 2690,
but with a smaller cabin and larger cockpit) for submarine escort
vessels on both the east and west coast. Glacier Bay quotes Captain
David Beyrodt, Commanding Officer of the Submarine Support Group at the
Norfolk, Virginia Naval Station, "We identified the 2680 as the best,
off-the-shelf boat to meet our needs. It offers a stable platform for
two machine guns without going to a 40-foot V-hull. It also offers
easy, low maintenance and it is trailerable."

We surely hope that none of our readers will be mounting machine guns
on a Glacier Bay 2690, but other features of this boat may prove just
as hazardous to our regional fish.

From the moment one steps into the cockpit, there's no mystery

surrounding the intended purpose of a 2690 Coastal Runner. A cutting
board is permanently attached to the starboard side of the transom to
provide a good surface for fashioning cut-plug herring or gutting a
"keeper". Just below the cutting board are a transom locker with a
stack of three tackle boxes and a sal****er washdown. There are two
large fish wells under hatches in the self-bailing cockpit deck. A sink
with retractable fresh water spray hose is mounted on the port side of
the transom, useful for general purpose rinsing or cleaning the catch
of the day outside the confines of the cabin. The rod racks lining the
gunwales and the rod holders along the rail provide handy resting
places for fishing gear in transit or while trolling. The non-skid
sidedecks are protected by stainless rail, and easily traversed en
route from the cockpit to the broad catamaran foredeck if tending lines
or following the run of a freshly hooked chinook.

The 2690 Coastal Runner features a standard fiberglass hardtop and an
Alaskan aft cabin bulkhead with a watertight door. The model we
inspected at I-90 Marine was rigged with an optional set of stainless
"rocket launcher" rod holders in a radar rack just above the
hardtop.

The main cabin provides seating for the skipper and two adult guests,
or perhaps a few more if small kids are included in the mix. A hanging
locker is intelligently located just inside the cabin door to
starboard, and next forward on the same side is a small but agile
galley. A deep stainless sink with pressurized faucet, an alcohol stove
with cutting board, and a Norcold dual voltage refrigerator will allow
the cook surprising latitude when preparing food. On the port side of
the cabin, a pair of fore and aft seats flank a hi-lo dinette table
that will convert into a single berth. The helm is in the starboard
forequarter of the main cabin, with a large molded console ideal for
mounting a buyer's choice of optional electronics.

The forward cabin features an oversized queen mattress to starboard,
with an electric flush marine head (plumbed to a 15-gallon holding
tank), a sink with spray nozzle (for hand held showering), a sump pump,
and stowage lockers to starboard.

A fully loaded Glacier Bay 2690 will require a heavy-duty tow vehicle.
Weight, with trailer, is estimated at 9,200 pounds. The 2690 is rated
for twin 150 HP outboards, with Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki options
available. Glacier Bay claims a top speed of "around 38 mph" for a
2690 with twin 150's. With 180 gallons fuel capacity, range is
reportedly "up to 275 miles".

The Glacier Bay 2690 is an ideal boat for a family where fishing will
be a definite priority, but where family cruising and adventuring will
also be an important consideration. There is enough cabin space for a
small group to spend a vacation aboard, taking in the sights and
dropping a crab pot or trolling a line for dinner. Even folks without
plans to mount machine guns will appreciate the seaworthy design, stout
construction, and stable ride of a Glacier Bay.

Manufacturer's suggested retail pricing for the 2690 begins as low at
$87,400- but that's without engines. With twin 140 HP Suzukis the
price is $112,870, and about another $6000 more for 150 HP Hondas or
Yamahas. The EZ Loader trailer option adds an additional $7,110. The
Pacific NW dealer for Glacier Bay catamarans is I-90 Marine in
Issaquah, (425-392-2748)

If I were a NW fish
Swimmin' in the deep blue sea
I'd hope and pray
No Glacier Bay
Cats were after me...

Butch Davis

The cats are nice platforms and give a nice but slow ride in the nasties.
Actually they give a slow ride any time. For our offshore waters (mobile
area) cats don't offer a lot and there are few of them. Offshore here means
OFFshore. In decent weather a deep V hull will get out and be fishing long
before a cat arrives assuming the same start point and time.

If its an area more often sloppy than not a cat ould offer a lot more.

IMO, the different hulls same power argument is useless. No matter how much
power is hung off the back of a cat it will only go so fast.

Butch
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

the worst test example a Glacier Bay ran only ½ mph slower than a
competitor.

The 2690 Coastal Runner is hand laid fiberglass. Five layers of knitted
E-glass 24-ounce fabric and mat below the waterline create a hull
tapering from 5/8" to 7/8" in thickness. All 10 layers weave
together in the keel-tracking pad. A Kevlar stem and a foam-filled
collision bulkhead will provide additional security against damage
caused by striking anything while docking or underway. Like all Glacier
Bay boats, the 2690 is solid glass below the waterline, and cored with
½" PVC rigid foam above.

[...]

From the moment one steps into the cockpit, there's no mystery

[...]

Peter Aitken

"Butch Davis" wrote in message
nk.net...
The cats are nice platforms and give a nice but slow ride in the nasties.
Actually they give a slow ride any time. For our offshore waters (mobile
area) cats don't offer a lot and there are few of them. Offshore here
means OFFshore. In decent weather a deep V hull will get out and be
fishing long before a cat arrives assuming the same start point and time.

If its an area more often sloppy than not a cat ould offer a lot more.

IMO, the different hulls same power argument is useless. No matter how
much power is hung off the back of a cat it will only go so fast.

I checked out a Glacier Bay 28 footer and was indeed impressed with the
ride. Fit and finish are quite good, although not up to the highest
standards. It's hard to get used to the boat leaning the opposite way when
you turn! It is slow, and I believe the hull is significantly heavier than a
comparable monohull (probably necessary to get the required strength).
Storage space really suffers. Definitely a nice boat but not for everyone.
We decided to go with a monohull.

--
Peter Aitken

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:38:40 GMT, "Butch Davis"
wrote:

The cats are nice platforms and give a nice but slow ride in the nasties.
Actually they give a slow ride any time. For our offshore waters (mobile
area) cats don't offer a lot and there are few of them. Offshore here means
OFFshore. In decent weather a deep V hull will get out and be fishing long
before a cat arrives assuming the same start point and time.

If its an area more often sloppy than not a cat ould offer a lot more.

IMO, the different hulls same power argument is useless. No matter how much
power is hung off the back of a cat it will only go so fast.

~~ snippage ~~

I do not wish to gainsay Chuck and his well written review, but I just
wanted to compare impressions.

I have taken two of these for a ride - both Canyon Runners. One was a
22' that a fellow has at my marina owns and the other was a 26' that
was being offered for sale by a private owner through a dealership
brokerage.

It was during the time when I had a couple of prospective purchasers
for my Ranger and I wanted to purchase something a little larger than
a 20 foot bay boat.

My impression is that both were under powered even at maximum. Being
a multihull, you would think that speed would be an advantage of the
dual hull configuration, but I was shocked at how slow they are both
coming up to speed and at cruise.

Having said that, my perception may have been skewed by the
acceleration and speeds I can get out of the Ranger and Contender.

On the 22, I had a chance to test the ride at the East Passage
entrance to Narragansett Bay - seas were running 2-3' with the
occasional 4' - it handled very nicely - that was impressive. There
was a minimum of rock and roll in a beam sea, but it was
uncomfortable. Of course any boat in East Passage in a beam sea is
going to be uncomfortable. But head on, quartering, following seas it
rode dry at varying speeds.

Form, fit and function was acceptable, but I would have like to see
more storage on both boats. That may be accounted for by the hull
configuration.

Just for the record, I had pretty much the same opinion of a World Cat
230 SF which was powered by twin Hondas.

I was disappointed because I had this idea in my head that this style
hull would be a performer. And these type hulls perform acceptably,
but they didn't give me the performance I was looking for. I had the
distinct impression that they are over built. All things considered,
that isn't really a bad thing.

To be fair, the owners I have talked to love their boats. And if
their owners like them, that's all that counts.

May The Force be with you,

Tom

Del Cecchi

wrote:

[...]

A review of a smaller, bass boat style.
http://bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=943291

Shortwave Sportfishing

On Tue, 17 May 2005 11:49:10 -0500, "Del Cecchi"
wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

A review of a smaller, bass boat style.
http://bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=943291

Which just goes to show - horsepower rules. :)

Later,

Tom