Steve

Default Glacier Bay recommendations??

I'm working out a few details of my summer '04 trip up the Inside Passage
and it looks like I will have time to go as far as Glacier Bay and take a
look at some ice.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what inlets or glaciers that make it
all worth while?? I figure I will only have a day or two to spend there and
don't want to go any farther north.

Also I would like to avoid following in the wake of the cruise ships.. I
know they go into Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Maybe the fact that my boat
is smaller, I can get into places that they can't.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Paul L

You will get cruise ships in Glacier Bay as well as Tracy Arm. The advantage
of Tracy Arm is that you don't have to get a permit in advance and can enter
whenever you show up. Glacier Bay requires you get a permit way in advance
and give the exact days you will be in the park. Since there aren't a lot of
anchorages around near glaciers, you will have a decent day travel into and
back from the actual Glacier. If your time is short and you want to play in
the ice flows, Tracy Arm is probably a better choice.
There's some Tracy Arm pictures at
http://www.jcruiser.org/37/Jeorgia/A...aska_trip1.htm from my trip
summer before last.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org
"Steve" wrote in message
I'm working out a few details of my summer '04 trip up the Inside Passage
and it looks like I will have time to go as far as Glacier Bay and take a
look at some ice.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what inlets or glaciers that make

it
all worth while?? I figure I will only have a day or two to spend there

and
don't want to go any farther north.

Also I would like to avoid following in the wake of the cruise ships.. I
know they go into Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Maybe the fact that my

boat
is smaller, I can get into places that they can't.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Thanks for the tip and the information regarding the Glacier Bay permit
requirement.

I also appreciate all the useful information on your web site..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
"Steve" wrote:

I'm working out a few details of my summer '04 trip up the Inside Passage
and it looks like I will have time to go as far as Glacier Bay and take a
look at some ice.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what inlets or glaciers that make it
all worth while?? I figure I will only have a day or two to spend there and
don't want to go any farther north.

Also I would like to avoid following in the wake of the cruise ships.. I
know they go into Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Maybe the fact that my boat
is smaller, I can get into places that they can't.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

If you don't stop by for a visit while your "In country" I am going to be
really disappointed Steve......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

alfie

Been in there twice and it's OK - but really nothing special - you're
gonna get cruise ships up the yazoo - it's like the 405 in LA in Fri
rush hour - and I know you know what I mean. Except for an occasional
stunningly clear view of a crystal clear Mt Fairweather in 150+ mile
vis late in the year (this is a genuine jaw drop AWE) - Sept on - I'd
rather be a lot of other places. Won't mention in public - too many
cruise ships listening. You'll know you don't want to be there when
you get woken up in the early AM by the cruise ship PA booming out -
"Aren't we having fun today !!" to the 1200 Alzeimher's patients
onboard (tourists??)..

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:51:37 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I'm working out a few details of my summer '04 trip up the Inside Passage
and it looks like I will have time to go as far as Glacier Bay and take a
look at some ice.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what inlets or glaciers that make it
all worth while?? I figure I will only have a day or two to spend there and
don't want to go any farther north.

Also I would like to avoid following in the wake of the cruise ships.. I
know they go into Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Maybe the fact that my boat
is smaller, I can get into places that they can't.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

timwh

Hi Steve, I appreciate your posts here.

We went to both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay in August 2001. Tracy Arm is
definately a "convenient" way to visit a tidal glacier. You anchor in
an anchorage (forget the name) about 20 miles from the glacier then
make a day trip up to Sawyer Glacier. The trip up to Sawyer Glacier is
beautiful, but a long day (there and back) if you do 5 knots like we
do. We saw one cruise ship in Tracy Arm the one day we were there.
Lots of pleasure boats.

We spent the maximum allowable 7 days in Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is
less "convenient" in that it is father north and farther away from
civilization. As another poster mentioned, you need a permit (during
prime season) and must check in at the Barlett Cove ranger station.
They only allow a certain amount of boats (about 50 if I remember
correctly) in Glacier Bay at a time. During our seven days in the bay
we saw one or two cruise ships and maybe two other pleasure boats. It
was a great sense of isolation. Glacier Bay is a big area and if you
have a slow cruising speed like us, it takes a while to get around. I
think they also have speed restrictions if I remember correctly. It
rained 1 - 3" every day we were in the Bay (late August). Bring your
foulies. Only on a few occassions did it clear enough to see much of
the surroundings. I never got to see Mt. Fairweather, which was a
bummer. Highlight of our Glacier Bay trip was anchoring in Reid Inlet,
near Reid Glacier and having glacier margaritas. Reid Inlet was an
awesome place... where you can really see nature at work. Highly
recommend Reid Inlet and Glacier. Course that was one of the few days
that was marginally clear, so that and the margaritas might have
impact my opinion/recollection;-)

Best-Tim
s/v Patience
http://www.tgw.net