John Gaquin

Default Does onw need a blower ???

Matt....
You probably don't need any kind of blower with an outboard, but it wiil
depend on your fuel tank installation. Requirements are in CFR, Title 33,
Parts 175 and 183, as shown below.

Ref:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/c...rch.html#page1

Title 33, CFR.....

Sec. 175.201 Ventilation.
No person may operate a boat....

Sec. 183.610 Powered ventilation system.
(a) Each compartment in a boat that has a permanently installed
gasoline engine with a cranking motor must:
(1) Be open to the atmosphere, or
(2) Be ventilated by an exhaust blower system.
(b) Each exhaust blower or combination of blowers must be rated at
an air flow ... etc....

Sec. 183.620 Natural ventilation system.
(a) Except for compartments open to the atmosphere, a natural
ventilation system that meets the requirements of Sec. 183.630 must be
provided for each compartment in a boat that:
(1) Contains a permanently installed gasoline engine;
(2) Has openings between it and a compartment that requires
ventilation, etc......
(3) Contains a permanently installed fuel tank and an electrical
component that is not ignition protected......
(4) Contains a fuel tank that vents into that compartment; or
(5) Contains a non-metallic fuel tank:
(i) With an aggregate permeability rate etc......
(b) Each supply opening required in Sec. 183.630 must be located on
the exterior surface of the boat.

Garth Almgren

Around 3/30/2004 8:58 PM, Doug Kanter wrote:

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...

Can this be
a simple fan or would that just add sparks from electrics and blow
everything up?

As others have said, you may not need ventilation for your particular boat.
But, if you decide to be anal and install it anyway, you CANNOT use just any
old fan. Consult a boat supply company - it has to be a blower made for the
purpose.

If you're in the mood for a laugh, just look for "electric
superchargers" on eBay. They're usually marine blowers marketed as a
performance "upgrade" for those too stupid to use Google.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
Marshall Banana

Also Sprach JAXAshby :

check the regs of enclosed spaces wirh gasoline and electrical equipment.

Here's the reg: 33 CFR Section 183.610:

Sec. 183.610 Powered ventilation system.

(a) Each compartment in a boat that has a permanently installed
gasoline engine with a cranking motor must:
(1) Be open to the atmosphere, or
(2) Be ventilated by an exhaust blower system.

So, if there is no gasoline engine with a cranking motor in the
compartment, a powered ventilation system is not required. It looks like
we now have another tidbit to add to your honor roll of ignorant
statements. How does it feel to be WRONG again, Jax?

You never admit when you are wrong, and it's lots of fun to poke you with
that fact. It's great to watch you make a complete fool of yourself in
your clumsy attempts to defend your crumbling position. Any time you are
caught doing this, you attempt to sidestep the issue with personal
insults, in the face of overwhelming evidence which proves you wrong.

Admit it jax, a powered ventilation system is not legally required in a
closed compartment unless it contains a gasoline engine with a cranking
motor.

Admit it jax, water intrusion destroys coax cable both by changing the
linear capacitance value and quickly allowing the shielding braid to
corrode.

Admit it jax, there is a functional lock on the Shinnecock canal. It's
been there for decades, and I even gave you a telephone number to call the
lockmaster and verify this, as well as aerial, satelite, and ground level
photographs, and a scan of a chart for the area.

Admit it jax, you can't buy a one-horsepower engine with 550 ft-lbs of
torque output. One horsepower is NOT equal to 550 ft-lbs.

Admit it jax, the manufacturer of Algae-X does indeed have a published
street address, city, state, phone numbers, and the name of it's owner. I
supplied them all to you.

Admit it jax, a 1957 Johnson 35 hp, 1954 Johnson 25 hp, and 1961 Johnson
40 hp all use the same magneto coil. I supplied you with the part number,
pricing, and the manufacturer's techical support phone number to verify
this.

Admit it jax, you do NOT look sexy in a speedo.

Dan

Harry Krause

JAXAshby wrote:
harry, check the regs

I read that one should run blowers to vent the gas tank area before
starting the motor

if you have any electrical equipment (such as a battery) in an enclosed
compartment that contains gasoline you are required under regulations to

run

the blower for 5 minutes (?, it might be 4 minutes, who the hell

remembers).

Opening it up and sniffing is even better, but doesn't meet regs.

That doesn't explain the hundreds of thousands of outboard boats extant
that have fuel tanks under the deck, aling with batteries and all sorts
of other devices, and no blowers.

Are you claiming these hundreds of thousands of boats were built and
sold outside the regs?
JAXAshby

why thank you for your thoughtful, informed post, danny boy. I am sure we all
appreciate the effort you went through to write. It is not often that a Line
Ex coder can be so informed, particularly one from Georgie Wreck.

We, I speak for all of us I believe, also make allowance for the fact that Line
Ex coders may not churn gray cells as quickly as a Ewe Nex coder does, so let
me be gentle in pointing out that you did not read the regs as thorougly as you
might have (perhaps the pizza arrived while you were composting) in pointing
you to the part of the reg that states:

"3) Contains a permanently installed fuel tank and an electrical
component that is not ignition protected......"

I feel that your efforts should be rewarded for the fact that you made an
effort. Perhaps a bit more thorough prep on your part next time might make an
improvement.

[...]

Rod McInnis

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...

Is it necessary to install a fan to blow air in BEFORE starting?

Is this an outboard, or an I/O?

The legal requirements state that any boat with an engine in an enclosed
compartment must have proper forced air ventilation, which means an electric
blower.

If you have an outboard, and there is no machinery in the compartment where
the gas tank is located, then you do not need to have a blower.

Can this be a simple fan or would that just add sparks from electrics and

blow
everything up?

Any electrical item you mount in the engine compartment needs to be marine
rated. The entire purpose of the blower is to safely remove explosive
gases. To install a fan that would ignite said gases would not be a very
good idea.

Are fiberglass boats different?

Only in that they are bigger and if enough water gets inside they will sink.

Do you only open the plug on land and
close it in the water?

Many people will pull the drain plug out when they take the boat out of the
water so that any water inside will drain out while you are trailering the
boat around. Hopefully you remember to put the plug back in before you
launch the boat. Just about everyone has a story about someone who forgot
to put the plug in, however.

If you do get some water do you just pump it
out? Should I retrofit a pump? Or should I put in a checkvalve Whats
the best for this kind of boat?

I recommend having an electric bilge pump, but they are not always
necessary. If your boat is fairly open then you can scoop any water out
with a bucket. If there is bilge space under the floorboards, however, then
a bilge pump will be essential.

You can get check valve drain plugs but my experience is that they end up
leaking and causing more problems than they solve.

Rod

Harry Krause

Gene Kearns wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:17:49 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

On 31 Mar 2004 01:44:51 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

harry, check the regs

I read that one should run blowers to vent the gas tank area before
starting the motor

if you have any electrical equipment (such as a battery) in an enclosed
compartment that contains gasoline you are required under regulations to

run

the blower for 5 minutes (?, it might be 4 minutes, who the hell

remembers).

Opening it up and sniffing is even better, but doesn't meet regs.

That doesn't explain the hundreds of thousands of outboard boats extant
that have fuel tanks under the deck, aling with batteries and all sorts
of other devices, and no blowers.

this particular poster's situation, no such regulation concerning
powered ventilation existed until after 1980.

Otherwise, the following link represents the facts:
http://squid.law.cornell.edu/cgi-bin...=460&TYPE=TEXT

Frankly, although the machinery is required to be installed, I don't
know of any regulation requiring its use. (Other than Darwin's school
of really hard knocks.)

Oh.... and 4 minutes is the magical quantity.

Hmmm. If it is required to be installed, how come it isn't?

I don't think there is any requirement to retrofit pre-1981 vessels
with powered blowers, so my guess is that this poster is grandfathered
in. All of these regs seem to point to 33 CFR 181 which relates to
manufacturers, not end users.

For newer vessels, a powered blower is only necessary where a gasoline
tank is in the same compartment with a non-ignition protected device
(a highly unlikely scenario).

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...cfr183.610.pdf

Aha...thanks.
Tony Thomas

And the tank is vented into this area or is plastic and has a permeability
rate that exceeds regulation.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

[...]

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Tony Thomas

It only applies if the electrical equipment is not ignition protected. All
boat manufacturers are required to use ignition protected components and any
fuel tank located in the enclosed bilge area is permanently installed and
vented to the outside instead of the bilge. Any removable/portable fuel
tank is required to be located in an open naturally ventilated area.
Therefore there is no requirement for a blower in the bilge for an outboard.
I have yet to see any outboard boat w/ a blower in the bilge made any year
to include 2004.

--

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
check the regs of enclosed spaces wirh gasoline and electrical equipment.

Blowers are only required w/ inboard or I/O engines. Outboard boats do

not
require blowers for the bilge as there is no engine ignition source.