Rod McInnis

Default Does onw need a blower ???

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...

Is it necessary to install a fan to blow air in BEFORE starting?

Is this an outboard, or an I/O?

The legal requirements state that any boat with an engine in an enclosed
compartment must have proper forced air ventilation, which means an electric
blower.

If you have an outboard, and there is no machinery in the compartment where
the gas tank is located, then you do not need to have a blower.

Can this be a simple fan or would that just add sparks from electrics and

blow
everything up?

Any electrical item you mount in the engine compartment needs to be marine
rated. The entire purpose of the blower is to safely remove explosive
gases. To install a fan that would ignite said gases would not be a very
good idea.

Are fiberglass boats different?

Only in that they are bigger and if enough water gets inside they will sink.

Do you only open the plug on land and
close it in the water?

Many people will pull the drain plug out when they take the boat out of the
water so that any water inside will drain out while you are trailering the
boat around. Hopefully you remember to put the plug back in before you
launch the boat. Just about everyone has a story about someone who forgot
to put the plug in, however.

If you do get some water do you just pump it
out? Should I retrofit a pump? Or should I put in a checkvalve Whats
the best for this kind of boat?

I recommend having an electric bilge pump, but they are not always
necessary. If your boat is fairly open then you can scoop any water out
with a bucket. If there is bilge space under the floorboards, however, then
a bilge pump will be essential.

You can get check valve drain plugs but my experience is that they end up
leaking and causing more problems than they solve.

Rod