Tony Thomas

Default Does onw need a blower ???

And the tank is vented into this area or is plastic and has a permeability
rate that exceeds regulation.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 05:17:49 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

On 31 Mar 2004 01:44:51 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

harry, check the regs

I read that one should run blowers to vent the gas tank area before
starting the motor

if you have any electrical equipment (such as a battery) in an

enclosed
compartment that contains gasoline you are required under regulations

run

the blower for 5 minutes (?, it might be 4 minutes, who the hell

remembers).

Opening it up and sniffing is even better, but doesn't meet regs.

That doesn't explain the hundreds of thousands of outboard boats

extant
that have fuel tanks under the deck, aling with batteries and all

sorts
of other devices, and no blowers.

this particular poster's situation, no such regulation concerning
powered ventilation existed until after 1980.

Otherwise, the following link represents the facts:

http://squid.law.cornell.edu/cgi-bin...=460&TYPE=TEXT

Frankly, although the machinery is required to be installed, I don't
know of any regulation requiring its use. (Other than Darwin's school
of really hard knocks.)

Oh.... and 4 minutes is the magical quantity.

Hmmm. If it is required to be installed, how come it isn't?

I don't think there is any requirement to retrofit pre-1981 vessels
with powered blowers, so my guess is that this poster is grandfathered
in. All of these regs seem to point to 33 CFR 181 which relates to
manufacturers, not end users.

For newer vessels, a powered blower is only necessary where a gasoline
tank is in the same compartment with a non-ignition protected device
(a highly unlikely scenario).

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...cfr183.610.pdf

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.