Black-n-Gold

Default 78 Saratoga Foam Question

I have 1978 Bayliner Saratoga which I'm suspecting has quite a bit of water
logged foam in the bow. I plan to cut into it this weekend. I'm wondering
if the foam in this model was done for floatation or structural? I guess
the main question is if I need to replace it, and if so, how? Thanks.

linus

Lawrence James

I removed the foam from my stingray when I replaced the floor and I did not
put any foam back. Instead I installed drain holes in the stringers to the
rear center. The foam had trapped quite a bot of water and that was the
main cause of my floor problems. I heard it also makes the boat quieter but
I did not notice any difference without it. Not sure what year it was, but
after a certain year all boats under 25 feet had to float when completely
filled with water. That was when most companies started injecting foam
under the floors. The foam has problems trapping water in voids. Other
boaters have replaced the foam with things like cut up pool noddles and 2
liter soda bottles with the caps glued on to provide flotation but still
allow for drainage. I boat on man made lakes in the carolinas and va and we
are seldom more than a couple hundred feet from the shore and never out in
bad weather so I did not do anything. My boat will sink if filled with
water. But if it ever starts filling with water I'll probably be close
enough to shore to run it aground.