L Schultz

Default Rudder plans or... assistance

I put in on an inland lake in the Midwest US. This year so far they are
maintaining a significantly lower water level, and the spot I have for a
pier has me in about 14 to 18 inches of water. The boat itself has no
problems (22' South Coast) needing really only 10-12 inches depth with the
keel up, but I have a standard (non-swinging) rudder that appears to need
24-30 inches (+/-) depth.

Does anyone know of any sites that have general plans for building a swing
rudder? Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Lloyd

"Nollite illegitimus contarere vos"

Nick Phillips

I restored a South Coast 22 about 6 years ago. The boat had a fixed keel,
and the rudder post went through-hull about 2 feet forward of the transom.
Is this the rudder configuration you have? If so, it's going to be a
challenge setting up a swing rudder. Nothing is impossible, but some things
are more difficult than others. If the rudder configuration is as I
mentioned, you might be better to remove and store the original, and build a
tip-up that attaches on the transom. If that sounds resonable, I could
probably make you some sketches.

Regards,
Nick

"L Schultz" wrote in message
I put in on an inland lake in the Midwest US. This year so far they are
maintaining a significantly lower water level, and the spot I have for a
pier has me in about 14 to 18 inches of water. The boat itself has no
problems (22' South Coast) needing really only 10-12 inches depth with the
keel up, but I have a standard (non-swinging) rudder that appears to need
24-30 inches (+/-) depth.

Does anyone know of any sites that have general plans for building a swing
rudder? Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Lloyd

"Nollite illegitimus contarere vos"

posted to alt.sailing
glenn P

As other said, if it's a transom mount rudder, a swing rudder is more than a
possibility, it's a necessity.

You will need engineering experience, or money & a good shop to get it done.
I have some plans I used for a trailer sailer years ao, but are too big for
my scanner. They also require access to benders.

"L Schultz" wrote in message
I put in on an inland lake in the Midwest US. This year so far they are
maintaining a significantly lower water level, and the spot I have for a
pier has me in about 14 to 18 inches of water. The boat itself has no
problems (22' South Coast) needing really only 10-12 inches depth with the
keel up, but I have a standard (non-swinging) rudder that appears to need
24-30 inches (+/-) depth.

Does anyone know of any sites that have general plans for building a swing
rudder? Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Lloyd

"Nollite illegitimus contarere vos"

posted to alt.sailing
Terry Spragg

L Schultz wrote:

I put in on an inland lake in the Midwest US. This year so far they are
maintaining a significantly lower water level, and the spot I have for a
pier has me in about 14 to 18 inches of water. The boat itself has no
problems (22' South Coast) needing really only 10-12 inches depth with the
keel up, but I have a standard (non-swinging) rudder that appears to need
24-30 inches (+/-) depth.

Does anyone know of any sites that have general plans for building a swing
rudder? Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Lloyd

"Nollite illegitimus contarere vos"

My SC22 swing rudder was hinged on a pin mounted in two 1/4" thick
aluminium side plates bolted to the non swinging part of the rudder.
The rudder mounted to the transom on pintles and gudgeons. There
were strings to pull the rudder up and down.

I have tried to find pictures showing that, but cannot. I can tell
you that my rudder assembly floated, a seemingly desirable feature,
overall.

The swinging member was fiberglass over foam, a simple flat plate
with a joining flange at the point where the two side pieces were
fixed together. It was not pretty, but worked well. The parts near
the swinging pin were solid glass, altogether about 1.5 inches thick.

The side plates were as wide or a little wider than the rudder
blade, and about a foot tall. The pivot pin was at the rear, about
2/3 span from the front.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Incidentally, I had the trailer modified so the x member under the
keel could be unbolted to allow lowering the keel on land for
servicing the cable attachment.

Our sailing days on the "Tipsey Too, Two" Were our finest, overall.

Terry K

posted to alt.sailing
JR

These pics should help you modify or construct a rudder
suitable to your needs.

Regards,
JR

http://members.shaw.ca/matildasail/b...s/brochure.pdf

http://members.shaw.ca/matildasail/b...er%20Blade.gif

http://members.shaw.ca/matildasail/b...er%20Stock.gif

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net