Tony Thomas

Default Is anyone here connected?

When I worked for a dealer, the factory would not sell direct to an
individual. Having said that, figure out what boat you want, then go to a
dealer and ask him to contact the factory about any leftover or warrenty
takeback boats they may have. Since you don't want the motor, some dealers
will buy a boat w/ a motor they need and split the package.

I personally would force the insurance to buy your complete rig (motor,
trailer, and all). Then go find a good used one for the money.
Most insurance companies will pay you full retail price for the rig (a lot
more than you could sell it for).

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
To a major manufacturer like Genmar , Four Winns - ect ??

I don't think I'll get enough fo rmy middle aged Four Winns (that was

killed
by a drunk driver while it was parked) to properly replace it, and would
*seriously* consider buying a new hull (OB) without power or pre-rig or
warantee or anything but seats, hardware and guages installed.

I'd be willing to pick up at place of manufacture and tow it home to

finish
fitting out etc....

-W (taking a longshot)

--

PLEASE NOTE: Email address change from to

Clams Canino

Ahhhhh but when you work for a factory - things change a bit. Roger on them
buying the whole thing - they will. But remember what I do for side work
and that it would take me 1 hour to switch outboards. My custom Inline
*will* be staying here, or somewhere secure... evil grin

-W

--

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
newsYAUa.152523$ye4.103739@sccrnsc01...
[...]

Jim

Clams,

You might not be taking that much of a 'longshot' provided you go
through the aduster. The insurance company may have the clout to
help you go this route. Hopefully the adjuster that shows up has a
clue about boats and can understand the actual condition of your
boat 'pre-accident'. If you feel you're being low-balled by them,
do your best to have them find you one in comparable condition since
they are the ones that are attempting to determine the current worth
of your boat.

-Jim

Clams Canino wrote:
To a major manufacturer like Genmar , Four Winns - ect ??

I don't think I'll get enough fo rmy middle aged Four Winns (that was killed
by a drunk driver while it was parked) to properly replace it, and would
*seriously* consider buying a new hull (OB) without power or pre-rig or
warantee or anything but seats, hardware and guages installed.

I'd be willing to pick up at place of manufacture and tow it home to finish
fitting out etc....

-W (taking a longshot)

Clams Canino

Heh... I just came back from the front yard, I went out to the boat cooler
to get a beer sigh.

My boat is now a true clam - it sits in the dirt and doesn't move at all.

Anyway,

I worked up a document for openers - here it is: Most of you guys followed
the cronology of this crap and know I'm hardly embellishing at all.

The Boat:

1988 Four Winns 160 Freedom approx 16.5 feet long.
New seats, floor, carpet, and upholstery (including side panels) in spring
of '02
New 4 speaker Pioneer sound system installed - summer of '02
110V AC converter installed - summer of '02 (for blender)
New battery and automatic bilge pump installed - spring of '03
6 new cupholders installed (cut in) - summer of '03
Hull condition, excellent
Interior excellent.
Trailer condition - excellent , fresh water - minimal rust except for
wheels.

The Outboard:

Custom Painted and chromed 1988 Mercury 150hp Inline
New Morse controller and cables installed spring of '02
New wiring harness installed - spring of '02
Powerhead completely rebuilt and tricked out during off season between '02
and '03
Hours on motor since rebuild - 30 - 40

The Damage:

Most fasteners (or the item they bolted to) broke loose on impact from
inertia.
Fuel tank - broken
Battery compartment - broken
Seats - broken
Transom - broken (ie hull destroyed)
Outer hull - seriously beaten up.
Windshield supports - broken.
Railing broken - from people getting boat "off car"
Lower unit - broken
SS propeller - bent
Powertrim - seals blown
Powerhead - unknown damage
Trailer - destroyed

If I could get out of this with the new 16' Starcraft hull and eat the
outboard damage myself - It would surely be a "win" for me, considering what
I do, but I don't know if they'd see it as a "win" for them etc....

-W (the unhappy clam)

Clams Canino wrote:
To a major manufacturer like Genmar , Four Winns - ect ??

I don't think I'll get enough fo rmy middle aged Four Winns (that was

killed
by a drunk driver while it was parked) to properly replace it, and

would
*seriously* consider buying a new hull (OB) without power or pre-rig or
warantee or anything but seats, hardware and guages installed.

I'd be willing to pick up at place of manufacture and tow it home to

finish
fitting out etc....

-W (taking a longshot)

Wayne.B

If you feel like the insurance company is not doing the right thing,
there are a couple of things you could do. For one, you could
engage, or threaten to engage, a private adjustor and let them
take over negotiations. Thet get a cut but make
their living by improving settlements enough to justify the expense.
Another approach is to get a nearby boat dealer to estimate
replacement cost and/or repair cost and use that as a lever. Usually
the dealers have a lot of insurance negotiation experience as well.

Clams Canino wrote:
To a major manufacturer like Genmar , Four Winns - ect ??

I don't think I'll get enough fo rmy middle aged Four Winns (that was

killed
by a drunk driver while it was parked) to properly replace it, and

would
*seriously* consider buying a new hull (OB) without power or pre-rig or
warantee or anything but seats, hardware and guages installed.

I'd be willing to pick up at place of manufacture and tow it home to

finish
fitting out etc....

-W (taking a longshot)

Tony Thomas

The price of the boat will make no difference to the insurance in terms of
things that were just replaced. They will go by book value.
Suggest you remove the following items before adjuster arrives:

1. Sterio - install cheap junk for $100 if you need to hide the holes.
2. A/C converter - get it out now or you will loose it.
3. Battery - find a junk battery since they will not be cranking the engine
anyway.

Once he does an inventory you won't be able to get anything out of the boat.

--

Clams Canino wrote:
To a major manufacturer like Genmar , Four Winns - ect ??

I don't think I'll get enough fo rmy middle aged Four Winns (that was

killed
by a drunk driver while it was parked) to properly replace it, and

would
*seriously* consider buying a new hull (OB) without power or pre-rig

or
warantee or anything but seats, hardware and guages installed.

I'd be willing to pick up at place of manufacture and tow it home to

finish
fitting out etc....

-W (taking a longshot)

Jim

Tony,

I'm thinking he should leave the stuff there for valuation
purposes. Then, when they reach agreement, he could buy the
boat back from the insurance company for it's salvage value and
then take anything/everything he wants and then bring the hull
to local landfill. Besides, Clams doesn't 'need' to settle
immediately if he doesn't agree, or could negotiate up front for
the removal of any items he wishes to keep.

-Jim

Tony Thomas wrote:
The price of the boat will make no difference to the insurance in terms of
things that were just replaced. They will go by book value.
Suggest you remove the following items before adjuster arrives:

1. Sterio - install cheap junk for $100 if you need to hide the holes.
2. A/C converter - get it out now or you will loose it.
3. Battery - find a junk battery since they will not be cranking the engine
anyway.

Once he does an inventory you won't be able to get anything out of the boat.

Tony Thomas

In the end, he will end up paying for them. If he removes them before, they
will never know. Price will not go down by any amount. Just like in a car.
If you had a $1000 sterio in the car, you better remove it before the
insurance sees it. They won't give you $1000 more for the car w/ it in
there but will reduce it if you want to remove the parts.

--

Tony Thomas wrote:
The price of the boat will make no difference to the insurance in terms

of
things that were just replaced. They will go by book value.
Suggest you remove the following items before adjuster arrives:

1. Sterio - install cheap junk for $100 if you need to hide the holes.
2. A/C converter - get it out now or you will loose it.
3. Battery - find a junk battery since they will not be cranking the

engine
anyway.

Once he does an inventory you won't be able to get anything out of the

boat.

Jim

Yeah, you might be right on those counts. From what I've
seen when it comes to cars is that they allot so much for the
capabilities of the stereo, not the quality or price. And, you
can get a car cd player for well under $50 now. I probably
wouldn't want to listen to it though. :^)

One thing I do not know is who's insurance adjuster he will be
dealing with. Regardless of which sends an adjuster, this
accident is obviously not his fault, which is good as they're
more likely to work with him. If he's dealing with their
adjuster, I think it could work even more in his favor. If he
can't reach agreement with that adjuster, he still has his
insurance company to lean on that company.

-Jim

Tony Thomas wrote:
In the end, he will end up paying for them. If he removes them before, they
will never know. Price will not go down by any amount. Just like in a car.
If you had a $1000 sterio in the car, you better remove it before the
insurance sees it. They won't give you $1000 more for the car w/ it in
there but will reduce it if you want to remove the parts.

Clams Canino

I will be dealing with thier adjuster.

One of my all time favorite movie lines: "I am altering the deal, pray I
don't alter it further."

I have found over time that this line - spoken from a position of some power
can be quite disarming. evil grin. Again rememeber *what* I do......

Read between the lines because I won't spell it out.

-W