Clams Canino

Default Is anyone here connected?

Heh... I just came back from the front yard, I went out to the boat cooler
to get a beer sigh.

My boat is now a true clam - it sits in the dirt and doesn't move at all.

Anyway,

I worked up a document for openers - here it is: Most of you guys followed
the cronology of this crap and know I'm hardly embellishing at all.

The Boat:

1988 Four Winns 160 Freedom approx 16.5 feet long.
New seats, floor, carpet, and upholstery (including side panels) in spring
of '02
New 4 speaker Pioneer sound system installed - summer of '02
110V AC converter installed - summer of '02 (for blender)
New battery and automatic bilge pump installed - spring of '03
6 new cupholders installed (cut in) - summer of '03
Hull condition, excellent
Interior excellent.
Trailer condition - excellent , fresh water - minimal rust except for
wheels.

The Outboard:

Custom Painted and chromed 1988 Mercury 150hp Inline
New Morse controller and cables installed spring of '02
New wiring harness installed - spring of '02
Powerhead completely rebuilt and tricked out during off season between '02
and '03
Hours on motor since rebuild - 30 - 40

The Damage:

Most fasteners (or the item they bolted to) broke loose on impact from
inertia.
Fuel tank - broken
Battery compartment - broken
Seats - broken
Transom - broken (ie hull destroyed)
Outer hull - seriously beaten up.
Windshield supports - broken.
Railing broken - from people getting boat "off car"
Lower unit - broken
SS propeller - bent
Powertrim - seals blown
Powerhead - unknown damage
Trailer - destroyed

If I could get out of this with the new 16' Starcraft hull and eat the
outboard damage myself - It would surely be a "win" for me, considering what
I do, but I don't know if they'd see it as a "win" for them etc....

-W (the unhappy clam)

"Jim" wrote in message
Clams,

You might not be taking that much of a 'longshot' provided you go
through the aduster. The insurance company may have the clout to
help you go this route. Hopefully the adjuster that shows up has a
clue about boats and can understand the actual condition of your
boat 'pre-accident'. If you feel you're being low-balled by them,
do your best to have them find you one in comparable condition since
they are the ones that are attempting to determine the current worth
of your boat.

-Jim

Clams Canino wrote:
To a major manufacturer like Genmar , Four Winns - ect ??

I don't think I'll get enough fo rmy middle aged Four Winns (that was

killed
by a drunk driver while it was parked) to properly replace it, and

would
*seriously* consider buying a new hull (OB) without power or pre-rig or
warantee or anything but seats, hardware and guages installed.

I'd be willing to pick up at place of manufacture and tow it home to

finish
fitting out etc....

-W (taking a longshot)