Jim

Default Peggy Hall - Best head available?

AND more than a little umm shall we say "suggestive"?

SDrumm6395 wrote:
Whew!!! At first, I thought this was an OT!

Peggie Hall

Sparkslaw wrote:
A question for Peggy Hall but anyone is welcome to jump in...

If money were no object, and there was sufficient space, water &
power, what head would you install?

That depends on the size of the boat and/or how much room there is in
the head. If the head is really roomy, for someone who thinks a boat
should be as close to a condo on land as possible, who wants a toilet as
much like the "one at home" as possible, the Raritan Atlantes
pressurized flush water version...it's full household size, with a
one-piece china bowl and pedestal (like household toilets), uses about
the same amount amount of water as a VacuFlush, but consumes less power,
offers 4 flush options including "dry," and macerates, can be made to
hold water "like the one at home," and can be bought at discount for
about 1/3 the price of a VacuFlush installed.

However, since there isn't room in the head in most boats for a toilet
that's 19" front-back, I'd go with a Raritan SeaEra, also pressurized
flush version. It was designed to be an identical upgrade replacement
for the Jabsco 37010 series...the mounting bolt patterns even match. And
it's the only toilet on the market I've never been asked to
trouble-shoot...highly reliable.

If seen comments that Vacuflush
are great for people with more money than sense but have not seen
suggested alternatives. Is a Vacuflush the best there is?

No, just the most expensive. It's a good toilet...I had one on my last
two boats, because for years, it was the only game in town if you wanted
a pressurized flush water toilet that doesn't use much flush water. But
that's no longer true...you can now get everything it offers and more
for a fraction of the price. If I were buying a used boat on which a
V/Flush were already installed, I'd be delighted...but I'd never spend
my own money on another one.

--
Peggie
----------

Peggie Hall

Mike OC wrote:
I presently use a vacuflush system that came with the boat and am quite
happy with it. In your case, depending on how you use your boat, I'd
suggest a Lectrasan system.

The VacuFlush is just a toilet...the Lectra/San is a Type I MSD
(treatment device) into which the toilet flushes, and can be used with
ANY toilet, including a VacuFlush.

But, and it's a big But, you have to have a
good size battery bank to be able to support the system.

Not necessarily so. The 1.7 AH consumption per flush looks scary, but in
fact, the actual daily consumption for two people is only about 10-12
AH. A stereo system running all day uses more.

If you're plugged
into shore power, no problem. However, if you're swinging on a hook and
don't run a genset then you can drain batteries quick. Lectrasans can use up
to apx 40 amps or so for 3 minutes or so each flush activation.

Better read the specs again...total treatment time is 2.5 minutes...the
first 30 seconds, only the mixer motor--which uses very little
power--runs...the electrode plates and macerator then kick on and run
for just 2 minutes. The average adult only uses the head 5x/day, so two
people shouldn't put THAT much demand on the 12v power supply.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Peggie Hall

Curtis CCR wrote:
I have a question - I use the Lectra San button to flush the head.
There is a pot (or trimmer) for setting the flush time. Mine is set
to flush the head for about 10 seconds. It's about a 2.5 foot trip
from the head discharge to the Lectra San. Is ten seconds enough time
to get things flushed well through the hose? Too much? It seems to
be right for getting the "contents" out of the bowl and have a couple
of seconds more water behind it. Is that an adequate method for
determining flush time? Peggy?

10 seconds should be enough to move bowl contents 2.5'. An equally
important consideration is whether that may be too long. Because the L/S
discharges by overflowing (the discharge volume is equal to the volume
that comes in), to ensure that the waste is fully treated before it's
pushed out, the max amount that should go into the L/S with each flush
is about 1 gallon. So if a 10 second flush uses enough flush water to
put much more than a gallon into it, you need to reduce the time. I'm
not sure what the flush water volume from your toilet is...you prob'ly
ought to ask Jabsco.

Peggie

Peggy Hall Jim Donohue General 3 January 23rd 04 12:39 AM
Head Gasket on 50 HP 93 Evinrude dp General 2 November 4th 03 12:46 PM
head gasket failure, salt water in cylinders, question? Russell Hermansen General 3 September 30th 03 04:35 AM
Jabsco Head - help! Lloyd Sumpter General 11 August 14th 03 05:08 AM