John Smith

Default newbie buying a used cruiser-what size best?

grin, it sounds like you have run into some real inexperienced boaters up
your way. Nothing is worse than to be a the gas dock and watching someone
out of control heading for you.

I didn't find the person who started this thread to be completely out of
line. If someone is experienced in handling a outboard or inboard/outboard
boat, when they change to a inboard boat, or one even a new boat with more
freeboard, they will have to relearn how to handle the boat.

I completely agree with you, concerning the importance of learning the rules
of the road, and taking a safety course. But, there are lots of
knowledgeable, competent boaters who's first boating experience is on boats
larger than 27'. I have seen new boaters buying 50' yachts and are now
competent boaters. The smart ones have found a knowledable boater to help
them learn how to handle the boat. Some will pay a professional to teach
them, others will have friends show them the ropes.

In my marina it is very common to see dock mates teaching the inexperience
boaters how to safely dock a boat. They do this because they love boats,
but also because they dont' want the newbie to slam into their boat. ; )

Hopefully, you mild rant will emphasize to him the importance of learning
how to handle the boat before he leaves the dock alone.

On 13 Mar 2004 14:26:06 -0800, (Trevor) wrote:

I haven't boated much (just boating on friends boats)and want to get
an idea of a managagable size boat to purchase. Is 31 ft too long, or
should I purchase a 27 or 28 footer to begin?

On second thought, and because there doesn't seem to be a lot going on
in the NG this morning, I've changed my mind on this.

Buy a 50 footer - hell, if you can afford it, buy one of those used
120 foot Sheik yachts from Urbootie. It's not like any of those
foreign captains around Newport can operate the damn things properly
anyway. It's full speed, six foot wakes and if you are a small boat
that gets tossed eight feet into the air as they go by, tough. "I'm
on a schedule - the Boss's wife needs a facial - or a face, I forget
which."

There is a rant in there somewhere - I'm just not up to it this
morning.

Never mind.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Capt Frank Hopkins

Hey Tom,

It was one of those six foot wakes that made me decide to join the Coast
Guard many years ago.

I was in high school and dating a cutie. We were out in my father's Larson
21, anchored and "fishing" in a narrow section of the ICW. One of those 60
foot yatch-ettes came blasting past. After a ride in the air we washed up
ten feet on the mudbank. Getting the boat off the mud was a dirty job, and
dear old dad was real impressed with the oyster shell scratches on the hull.
Needless to say, I didn't get anywhere with the cutie that day.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:19:37 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

~~ Snippage happens ~~

Hopefully, you mild rant will emphasize to him the importance of learning
how to handle the boat before he leaves the dock alone.

I do it all the time around my marina - you see guys and gals with big
shiny Sea Rays or whatevers with no practical experience beyond a
USCGA or USPS course all of a sudden discovering that a 32 foot boat
doesn't drive like the family SUV.

Hey, if you can afford it, do it. Like a lot of folks in reply to
this thread said, get soembody to show you the ropes, take a course,
get an idea of what you are getting into. I was throwing my Dad's 37
foot converted lobster boat around Marblehead Harbor when I was 14 -
learned a lot with that old tub. So it's certainly doable.

As to Newport, well it's not the small boat operators as much as it is
the weirdos who run full throttle up the East Passage billy-be-damned
if anybody else is around. I've actually slowed down for a gaggle of
old 12 meter racing yachts and had a 70 footer of Italian manufacture
PASS me, straight through the sailers and into the harbor. Lot's of
"sign language" after that event. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:02:44 GMT, "Capt Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

Hey Tom,

It was one of those six foot wakes that made me decide to join the Coast
Guard many years ago.

I was in high school and dating a cutie. We were out in my father's Larson
21, anchored and "fishing" in a narrow section of the ICW. One of those 60
foot yatch-ettes came blasting past. After a ride in the air we washed up
ten feet on the mudbank. Getting the boat off the mud was a dirty job, and
dear old dad was real impressed with the oyster shell scratches on the hull.
Needless to say, I didn't get anywhere with the cutie that day.
--

LOL!!!!

Well, I've had an incident with the Navy. Once I was out in my Dad's
boat with some friends and as it happened, the Navy was doing a "port"
visit to Marblehead. They the anchored the freakin' destroyer right
next to the main Salem channel and in a solid fog, I managed to run to
it. They had no lights, no horns, no nuttin'. Needless to say, my
Dad, a former wartime USCG officer, was not amused with either me or
the Navy.

Sorry about that cutie thing - bummer.

Tell me, did you ever use the out of gas gag on the boat? :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Capt Frank Hopkins

No never did use the out of gas gag, but have pulled the "dead battery and
can't start until the solar charger does its work in the morning." routine.
That one worked really well until one college babe wanted to know how come
the FM radio and anchor light were still running. She was a sporty first
mate that night. ?
Alas... The days of youth....

--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
wrote:

[...]

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 05:37:14 GMT, "Capt Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

No never did use the out of gas gag, but have pulled the "dead battery and
can't start until the solar charger does its work in the morning." routine.
That one worked really well until one college babe wanted to know how come
the FM radio and anchor light were still running. She was a sporty first
mate that night. ?
Alas... The days of youth....

Alas? Hell, bring 'em back.

Where is Ponce deLeon when you need him?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Capt Frank Hopkins

Actually Tom,

I live about 15 miles southwest of St. Augustine. Home to the DeLeon's
Fountain of Youth. It is sulpher water. I was down there Saturday seeking a
new slip for the boat.

One of the really nice things about living here is the4 year-round babe
parade. Dear old Dad once said,"The closer the water, the prettier the
women!"

He was quite the philosopher. And useually right.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
wrote:

No never did use the out of gas gag, but have pulled the "dead

battery and
can't start until the solar charger does its work in the morning."

routine.
That one worked really well until one college babe wanted to know how

come
the FM radio and anchor light were still running. She was a sporty

first
mate that night. ?
Alas... The days of youth....

Alas? Hell, bring 'em back.

Where is Ponce deLeon when you need him?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:01:09 GMT, "Capt Frank Hopkins"
wrote:

He was quite the philosopher. And useually right.

Yep - my Dad was a great guy and used to tell tales cleverly disguised
as parables if you listened close enough - which, more often than not,
I did because I love a good story. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT