Darren Pullen

Default briggs outboard?

Anybody here have any experience with the briggs 5hp outboards? I'm looking
for something in that hp range and it would almost seem foolish to spend
$100-200 on a 20 plus year old used motor when these can be had for around
$600 new. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Darren

--

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What
should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than

"We stand here on the only island of freedom that is left in the
whole world. There is no place left to flee to ... no place to
escape to. We defend freedom here or it is gone. There is no
place for us to run, only to make a stand. And if we fail, I
think we face telling our children, and our children's children,
what it was we found more precious than freedom. Because I am
sure someday -- if we fail in this -- there will be a generation
that will ask." --Ronald Reagan

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:20:30 -0500, "Darren Pullen"
wrote:

Anybody here have any experience with the briggs 5hp outboards? I'm looking
for something in that hp range and it would almost seem foolish to spend
$100-200 on a 20 plus year old used motor when these can be had for around
$600 new. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Darren

Look around for deals on a standard outboard. I have a friend who has
one of these and while it was initially pretty neat, the corrosion
protection is minimal even for fresh water use. He is not happy about
that at all.

My own impression of the outboard is that it's like running a lawn
mower on the rear of your boat - LOUD!! And it's that annoying lawn
mower noise.

For a couple of hundred bucks more, you can get a real outboard by a
real manufacturer with proper corrision protection and a decent noise
level.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)
Tuuk

Ya, I got the briggs motor on a generator and it is so much louder than
anyone elses. I didn't condition the fuel system before storage also two
years ago and when pouring fuel into it now or recently it developed some
leak or situation where the fuel just leaks out of the carb. Think it now
needs a carb servicing and cleaning.

wrote:

[...]

Capt Frank Hopkins

Hi Darren,

I can tell you this. They are LOUD!!!! If you are planning to sneak up on
the fish, Forget it! They will hear you at the ramp.

IMHO the motor does not look well made. More like a lawnmower engine on a
cable drive bottom end. The entire arrangement strikes me as a perfect
example of the need for towing insurance.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_