stevec

Default Briggs Straton outboard as troller ?

Briggs Straton makes this 5hp 4 cycle outboard I saw at Basspro shop.
Exhaust gas appears to come out of muffler on the side of powerhead instead
of under water as other kicker outboards.

What do youall think if this motor can be used in place of eletric trolling
motors. I mean if exhaust goes in the air instead of underwater there's
be not much noise underwater to scare the fish. And its air cooled.

Its gas powered and weighs only 56 pounds. Much lighter than MinnKota
with batteries. Burns only 0.5 gal per hour at full throttle. You
never have to worry about electricals .

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:16:10 -0600, "stevec"
wrote:

Briggs Straton makes this 5hp 4 cycle outboard I saw at Basspro shop.
Exhaust gas appears to come out of muffler on the side of powerhead instead
of under water as other kicker outboards.

What do youall think if this motor can be used in place of eletric trolling
motors. I mean if exhaust goes in the air instead of underwater there's
be not much noise underwater to scare the fish. And its air cooled.

Its gas powered and weighs only 56 pounds. Much lighter than MinnKota
with batteries. Burns only 0.5 gal per hour at full throttle. You
never have to worry about electricals .

I bought one of these "on sale" at a local tractor store for my "rock"
boat - a 14 ft tin boat for small lakes and rivers as the good old
Evinrude 5 hp gave up. I don't have a lot of hours on it - maybe
25/30 or so at most - it's held up so far. My main concern was the
lower unit - B&S engines are B&S engines - but it seems to have held
up so far.

I know somebody who has one as a kicker motor for trolling the reefs
around Newport and it's held up in sal****er pretty well - it also has
triple the hours mine does. He just makes sure he rinses it off after
every trip and covers it when not in use.

Not a lot of information - hope it helps.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."

St. Pete, 12 Lb. Test

Hewel

My brother used one all last year (May-October) pushing a Pelican
Internationaln Intruder 12 jonboat. Probably has 100 hours on it so far.
Not a problem. Doesn't sound like your typical 1 cyl. outboard... much
lower revs. I have a 3 year old 5 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke motor. It has
about 200 hours on it. Cost a little more than the B&S. Burns less fuel.
Accelerates slightly better. A couple pounds lighter. About 30% louder.
Not a bad motor for the money. Better than the B&S, but that should be
expected.

ROBMURR

I might want to get one of these on my
next small boat for river and small lake
use. I like the idea of not having to
change the impeller(not fun) or mix gas
and oil like my old mercury.
I like the idea that any Briggs dealer
will service it and would have parts way
cheaper than the marine dealers.
I wish that the Mantis Tiller company would make an outboard attachment for
their mini tiller. Those things start so
easy, weigh nothing, have good power
and already are set up to interchange other
attachments like a hedge trimmer bar.
Fish with it in the morning, till with it
in the afternoon...