Richard J Kinch

Tim writes:

Any mismatch is destructive, and eventually, they will mismatch.

I really don't know what you mean by "destructive"

Two equally good batteries should work fine.

No. Currents are at best unstably balanced. Any mismatch (difference)
in the cells (size, manufacturer, model, flooded/sealed/gel/etc, date of
manufacture, age, prior application, usage history) at the start or
developing over time will result in loads between the batteries
themselves, which over time will accelerate the mismatching process.

A shorted cell, not uncommon, will result in enormous currents that can
cause a fire or explosion.

I know it is done, but only as a compromise, and a bad one at that.

I would at least put fusible links in series with each battery before
the parallel connection. That will at least give some protection
against the fire and explosion hazard.

Think of it as yoking a strong horse and a weak horse to a cart side by
side. The strong horse will be spent dragging the weak one. The weak
one will be spent just trying to keep up with the strong. The power to
the cart is a fraction of what the team is exerting.

Amps ...

Bill McKee

wrote:

Tim writes:

[...]

I guess I better disconnect the 2nd factory battery in my Duramax Diesel
pickumup.

Richard J Kinch

Bill McKee writes:

I guess I better disconnect the 2nd factory battery in my Duramax Diesel
pickumup.

What you have is a compromised, but not uncommon, design. The biggest
batteries commonly sold aren't big enough for starting diesels. It would
be better if they put two 6V of the same size in series, or used a 24V
starter from two 12V in series, but it's cheapest to do it like you have.

Richard J Kinch

Bill McKee writes:

woooooooooosh

Bill McKee

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
Bill McKee writes:

woooooooooosh

Bill McKee

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
Bill McKee writes:

woooooooooosh

Bill McKee

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
Bill McKee writes:

woooooooooosh

And a few more

Adjusting Minn Kota Endura 30 to 15" spec [email protected] General 4 January 27th 05 12:12 AM
FS: Minn Kota Power Control in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 16th 04 12:43 PM
Need Minn Kota 3HP housing Larry General 0 December 24th 03 02:59 PM
inflatables help jake waldman General 16 December 2nd 03 02:57 AM
Trolling motor questions CCred68046 General 5 September 27th 03 01:54 AM