Shwackman

Default picking up Zodiac tomorrow! (yee haw!)

Well, after 5 months to the day, my old Zodiac is ready to be picked up from
the repair shop. Can't wait to get it home, install the floor, make the Bimini
top hardware, and order myself an outboard motor. I wonder where a guy would go
to ask what the best size motor would be to clamp on to the thing. Lets see,
it's 15' 6" long, has the "solid" aluminum interlocking floorboards, and the
max rating is 65 h.p., of course I'm sure that's WAY too much....any ideas?
Thanks, Mark C.
Rod McInnis

"Shwackman" wrote in message
Well, after 5 months to the day,

What were you having done that took so long?

and order myself an outboard motor.

Did you never have a motor, or did the old motor bite the dust?

Lets see, it's 15' 6" long,

Good sized boat! Use it for diving?

has the "solid" aluminum interlocking floorboards, and the
max rating is 65 h.p., of course I'm sure that's WAY too much....any

ideas?

Can't make any recommendations without knowing how you use the boat and what
any prior experiences were.

At first glance, "bigger is better" tends to jump to mind on motor size. You
can always NOT open the throttle all the way, but if you don't have the
power you can't use it.

On the other hand, bigger is usually heavier, and the added weight can be an
issue. I assume that any size motor you would consider would push it beyond
the "clamp on" models and that you wouldn't be removing the motor on a
regular basis, but the weight balance in the boat might still be an issue.
Does this have a center console, or would you be tiller steering this beast?

If it tiller steered I might go with a smaller motor, just for ease in
steering and due to weight concerns at the stern. But then, the load you
expect the boat to carry might dictate a larger motor.

Have you used this boat before? If so, what size motor did it have on it?

Rod

Shwackman

What were you having done that took so long?
four or five patches, and the valves serviced, and a "take your time" from me

Did you never have a motor, or did the old motor bite the dust?
I have never used it, but it will be a dive boat
[...]

I had an Achilles 14" w/ Tohatsu 40, plenty of power, but no longer available,
and would like the quiet of 4 stroke. It will be tiller steered, I like
simplicity, but It's hard to find a "big" motor, that is tiller steered w/ a
15" shaft.

I think I will look real hard at the Yamaha 40 tiller steer, I just hate to
spen $3,800, without knowing if it's the right choice.

Zodiac F470 (HP Question).. Shwackman General 2 January 16th 04 10:19 PM
Zodiac Inflateable Issues Jeff Liggett General 1 November 17th 03 07:55 PM
ZODIAC PROJET 350 sml General 0 October 1st 03 06:10 AM
Zodiac Inflatable Oar Lock Pins and Sleeves Mark Pieczonka General 0 July 26th 03 05:23 AM