Trevor Miller

Default Fireworks on the Chesapeake?

Any good fireworks to be seen via boat around the Chesapeake bay for Labor
Day?

-trevor

John Tretick

July 4th or Labor Day?
Plenty July 4th weekend.
Not sure about other holidays

"Trevor Miller" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Any good fireworks to be seen via boat around the Chesapeake bay for Labor
Day?

-trevor

John H

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:41:03 -0500, "Trevor Miller"
wrote:

Any good fireworks to be seen via boat around the Chesapeake bay for Labor
Day?

-trevor

Gotta agree with Trevor. Never heard of fireworks on Labor Day, but
lots of shows around July 4th. Baltimore's, I hear, is quite
spectacular when viewed from the water, as is Annapolis'.

I wouldn't go watch by water unless I had the biggest boat in the
water. Many of those on the water are drunk and careless by the time
the fireworks are over. I faced the hoard once on the Potomac, after
the fireworks at the Washington Monument. There is no better way to
watch the fireworks, but coming home, by water, was absolutely
terrifying.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Lee Yeaton

"Trevor Miller" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Any good fireworks to be seen via boat around the Chesapeake bay for Labor
Day?

-trevor

Fort McHenry has fireworks a few times a year, They are having them the
weekend after Labor day for Defenders Day.
http://www.nps.gov/fomc/calendar04.htm

Fireworks in the Inner Harbor are great on the Forth of July. but, the
Harbor is really crowded. A few years ago you could almost walk across the
harbor the boats were so tight.

Drunks are all over the harbor on the 4th. I've seen many boats getting
stopped for drinking. Many arrests too. The ramps on Boston Street and
Waterview Ave. are fun to watch after the fireworks. It's total bedlam when
hundreds of boats rush to get there first.

The past 2 years I've stayed in my slip in the Inner Harbor. The set the
fireworks off right off our main pier. You almost have to look straight up
to see them.

- - - - -
Lee Yeaton
www.thebayguide.com

the boats of rec.boats
www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

rec.boats merchandise
www.cafeshops.com/recdotboats

Lee Yeaton

"Trevor Miller" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Any recommendations on launching in this vicinity?

-trevor

The ramp on Boston Street is the closest, you can see the fort from the
ramp, but there is limited parking. Room for 2 boats on the ramp and it's
free. I think it's open 24 hours.

Another choice is the ramp by Harbor Hospital at the intersection on Hanover
Street and Waterview Ave. It's a quick 4 or 5 minute ride to the fort.
Four decent ramps, free, lots of parking, open 24 hours.

Both launch into speed controlled areas so waves are minimum.

There is another ramp about 10 to 15 minutes away at Ft. Armistead. If the
others are full this ramp is usually not. It launches into the N. Patapsco
which gets real rough by the Key bridge. But there is a new jetty to divert
some waves, it is definitely an improvement from when I used it last.

I would try Boston Street first since it's right across the harbor, then the
ramp at Harbor Hospital.

When are you going to be in Baltimore? You could look me up. Always have a
cold beer aboard for a fellow rec.boats member.

- - - - -
Lee Yeaton
www.chesapeakeboating.com

the boats of rec.boats
www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

rec.boats merchandise
www.cafeshops.com/recdotboats

Lee Yeaton

"Trevor Miller" wrote in message
rvers.com...
Thanks for the info...have these sites been recently updated? In your

guide
the Hanover and Armistead seem to be much smaller than you state here.

-trevor

Those are not my descriptions. I no longer provide ramp info, that info is
from the MD DNR.

The info on the MD DNR site is wrong, trust me. I launched at those ramps
for over 8 years. What I told you was correct.

I have photos to prove it:

Hanover/Broenig:
http://www.bayphotos.com/bayphotos/p.../photo_02.html This
only shows one side of the ramp. There is another 2 wide ramp to the left
of the photo.

Ft. Armistead:
http://www.bayphotos.com/bayphotos/p.../photo_05.html

Boston Street:
http://www.bayphotos.com/bayphotos/p.../photo_01.html

Any other questions you can email me through my site.

- - - - -
Lee Yeaton
www.chesapeakeboating.com

the boats of rec.boats
www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

rec.boats merchandise
www.cafeshops.com/recdotboats

Dave Skolnick

Get there early, anchor opposite the tidal basin, sleep over, leave in
the morning. No worries.

dave

--
-----
news_bucket e-mail address goes to a blackhole. Sorry. Send e-mail to