Jim Irvine

Default Chesapeake Boat Show Double Speak

Odd, but entertaining salesman comments at the Chesapeake Boat Show this
week.

Rinker Salesman: Our boats are the best buy on the market and we keep the
cost down by not offering many options. SeaRay is not better, they just load
you up with optional equipment and features.

Me: Which type of boat do you own?

Rinker Salesman: I’ve been a SeaRay owner since 1993 and currently have a 30
footer.

(Possible Translation: He likes his SeaRay, but will sell freezers to the
Eskimo’s, given the proper commission.)

Crownline Salesman: Our all new boat designs are doing so well that the
factory is already backed up and you should buy today to insure delivery
this spring.

(Possible Translation: Working a boat show that is sparsely attended, due to
bad weather sucks, and I really need to sell some boats this week.)

Cruisers Salesman: After purchase, we will buy back your boat within 30
days, if not totally satisfied.

Me: Any caveats?

Cruisers Salesman: Boat must be in new condition with no more that 10 total
engine hours. We will also buy back your boat within one year!

Me: Caveats?

Cruisers Salesman: You must use your buy back amount on a purchase of a
larger Cruisers model.

(Possible Translation: You may return your boat in 30 days for a refund of
most of the cost, or you can trade your boat in at anytime for a larger
boat!)

Maybe they should all go into politics?

--