Al Kubeluis

Default Rank Outboards

Hi Boaters,
For general recreational use (cruising, fishing, skiing) in salt water,
which outboards in the 50 to 150 hp range do you consider good, okay, and
bad and why?
Al Kubeluis

Dean Sensui

I just bought a 115 Suzuki 4-stroke and really like it. Easy starting.
No priming or choke needed. No acrid exhaust smoke.

At idle and slow trolling speeds it's incredibly quiet. In fact,
during washdown with the engine out of the water, it's STILL quiet.

It's mounted on a 17.5-foot McKee Southporter (similar to a Boston
Whaler but wider and heavier). With a 19-inch pitch prop it maxes out
at 35 knots on flat water. Plenty of power for Hawaiian waters where
it's often difficult to go much faster than 15 knots without pounding
the hull on the chop. Seems pretty good on gas, much better than the
old Suzuki 2-stroke I had.

Dean.

"Al Kubeluis" wrote in message ...
Hi Boaters,
For general recreational use (cruising, fishing, skiing) in salt water,
which outboards in the 50 to 150 hp range do you consider good, okay, and
bad and why?
Al Kubeluis

Capt Frank Hopkins

Hi Dean,
I was wondering if you have had any issues with your prop hub?

Some of our rental pontoon boats were found to have minor leaks at the
prop seals this season. Repair history shows these motors had been run
aground more than once.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
__\_| oooo \_____
~~~~|______________/ ~~~~~
www.home.earthlink.net/~aartworks
"Dean Sensui" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Wayne.B

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:17:44 GMT, "Capt Frank Hopkins"
wrote:
I was wondering if you have had any issues with your prop hub?

Some of our rental pontoon boats were found to have minor leaks at the
prop seals this season. Repair history shows these motors had been run
aground more than once.

The prop seal on ANY engine can be damaged by running with a bent prop
for a length of time.

Dean Sensui

Hi Frank...

My engine's got just 16 hours on it. I'll check it at the 20-hour mark
and let you know.

I've already hit a coral head but fortunately I spotted the sudden
rise on the depth sounder and threw the shift into neutral before any
real damage was done. I was also going pretty slow at the time. It was
the result of going through a bay that's heavily populated with reefs
that suddenly rise out of nowhere. Pays to use a GPS loaded with
current charts.

Dean.

"Capt Frank Hopkins" wrote in message link.net...
[...]

Capt Frank Hopkins

Hi Dean,
If you hit coral, I take it you are in a tropical latitude.

I am in Jacksonville, FL.
--
Capt. Frank

__c
\ _ | \_
[...]

Suzuki Outboards Messing In Boats General 19 February 21st 04 02:53 AM
Online Outboards? Spyda Man General 10 December 19th 03 06:34 PM
buying used outboards RB General 7 November 19th 03 06:30 PM
1980's era Chrysler outboards Mike General 5 September 28th 03 05:28 PM
I/O OR OUTBOARD - WHAT'S BEST?? Jim Stallings General 20 September 22nd 03 06:26 PM