tcoop

Default marine carpet

What is the main difference between marine grade carpet and indoor/outdoor
carpet? I have a pontoon and wondering why I couldn't use outdoor carpet. I
can seem to find more colors in the outdoor carpet than I can in marine
grade. Anyone have any tips for laying down the carpet no matter which type
I use?
I was thinking about using a couple coats of a water sealer such as
Thompsons, and then apply the carpet over that. Is the best carpet the kind
with a rubber on the back or a webbing type back and should I glue the
entire piece down or just in areas?
Thanks for the advice,
Tom

Lawrence James

Marine carpet has a sealed back. It might wear better than indoor/outdoor.
You get what you pay for. I've seen plenty pontoons with indoor/outdoor.
It is usually glued everywhere to prevent water from collecting betwen the
carpet and floor. Thompsons is not even a very good deck sealer, nevermind
using it as a marine sealer. Two part eposy is the best but expensive. A
polyester resin is not a bad second choice.

"tcoop" wrote in message
.. .
What is the main difference between marine grade carpet and indoor/outdoor
carpet? I have a pontoon and wondering why I couldn't use outdoor carpet.

can seem to find more colors in the outdoor carpet than I can in marine
grade. Anyone have any tips for laying down the carpet no matter which

type
I use?
I was thinking about using a couple coats of a water sealer such as
Thompsons, and then apply the carpet over that. Is the best carpet the

kind
with a rubber on the back or a webbing type back and should I glue the
entire piece down or just in areas?
Thanks for the advice,
Tom

Lawrence James

Best prices I've found on epoxy is US Composites. Mail order, do a web
search.

Lots of opinions but I seal the top and edges but leave the underside
unsealed so it can dry when it does get wet.

"tcoop" wrote in message
. ..
Can i get the epoxy at a good boaters store or would that need to come

from
a paint store? Thanks for the help.
Tom

"Lawrence James" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Marine carpet has a sealed back. It might wear better than

indoor/outdoor.
You get what you pay for. I've seen plenty pontoons with

indoor/outdoor.
It is usually glued everywhere to prevent water from collecting betwen

the
carpet and floor. Thompsons is not even a very good deck sealer,

nevermind
using it as a marine sealer. Two part eposy is the best but expensive.

polyester resin is not a bad second choice.

"tcoop" wrote in message
.. .
What is the main difference between marine grade carpet and

indoor/outdoor
carpet? I have a pontoon and wondering why I couldn't use outdoor

carpet.
can seem to find more colors in the outdoor carpet than I can in

marine
grade. Anyone have any tips for laying down the carpet no matter which

type
I use?
I was thinking about using a couple coats of a water sealer such as
Thompsons, and then apply the carpet over that. Is the best carpet the

kind
with a rubber on the back or a webbing type back and should I glue the
entire piece down or just in areas?
Thanks for the advice,
Tom

Greg

I used regular Home Depot indoor outdoor on my pontoon boat and it lasted 10
years.
Thompsons won't buy you much. Use a tough paint, several coats.

tcoop

If I use paint do I need to paint both sides of the plywood to keep it from
warping? I know that if one side of a board is painted and the other left
unfinished that the board will warp.
Thanks for the help.
Tom

"Greg" wrote in message
I used regular Home Depot indoor outdoor on my pontoon boat and it lasted

10
years.
Thompsons won't buy you much. Use a tough paint, several coats.

Greg

I don't think you will get much warping when the plywood is fastened to the
stringers. I heard you were supposed to let the bottom breathe.
I am using MDO plywood (going on 15 years) so YMMV.

JDavis1277

I'd absolutely avoid any rubber backed carpet.

The rubber will rot and be a mess to take care of when it does.

On a pontoon boat I'd use exterior grade plywood, seal it with epoxy on both
sides, screw it down to the stringers and lay the carpet. I might even get a
little fancy and use snaps to install the carpet so I could take it up once in
a while or even after a washdown. I believe you can get epoxy at a BOAT/US or
West Marine store.

Butch