Harry Krause

Default Not about boats.... *is* about newsreaders....

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

What exactly do you mean by "open a separate data file"? My goal is to

have
multiple accounts with messages from all of them downloading into the

same
inbox, while I don't have to touch the keyboard. Possible or not?

Well, Outlook does that...but that's not a feature of outlook I like. I
prefer the messages to dump into their own folders, but without my
intervention.

That's a piece of cake with Outlook or OE, Harry. You make a few simple
message rules which tell the program to move messages arriving for X account
into such-and-such a folder.

Unfortunately, I have a more than passing familiarity with Outlook,
since most of my clients use it. I prefer Mozilla to Outlook Express
because Mozilla is featureful and allows a high degree of customization.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:00:39 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 07:19:01 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

What exactly do you mean by "open a separate data file"? My goal is to have
multiple accounts with messages from all of them downloading into the same
inbox, while I don't have to touch the keyboard. Possible or not?

For email, I'm not sure to be honest. I was discussing the data file
for different news servers.

I'll get back to you on that.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)

Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

I use the Mozilla browser, but only under duress. :-) The tabbed browsing
feature is terrific, as is the ability to annotate bookmarks. But, the
bookmark search feature is an atrocity. Open sauce programming at its worst.
And, "sauce" is not a typo. Open the sauce, get into the groove (i.e.:
drunk), write some bad code, and hide behind a nifty nickname so nobody
knows who you really are.

Really, we don't have any GREAT choices. Some marginally acceptable ones,
but nothing great.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 10:38:15 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:32:52 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

Absolute PITA. True multiple accounts are promised in 2.1, due in Q2.

LOL!! It's not that bad.

They've been promising multiple account management since 1.52 I think.
:)

Have you tried Xnews at all? I'm not a geek, so I don't really get
into tweaking news readers, but my two youngest love it and can make
it do some fancy tricks.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 10:39:41 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:00:39 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

. ..
wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

What exactly do you mean by "open a separate data file"? My goal is to have
multiple accounts with messages from all of them downloading into the same
inbox, while I don't have to touch the keyboard. Possible or not?

Boils down to multiple installations and has been a work-around for
years. There is relief on the way....

I'll believe it when I see it. That was the #1 complaint about Agent
almost from the git-go and they have never complied with the request.

I don't know why, but that's the way of it.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)

Doug Kanter

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 18:21:01 GMT, "Clams Canino"
wrote:

What's the advantage to an aftermarket newsreader? A perfectly good one
came free with my Windows.

Here are three reasons (concerning OE) borrowed from a mailing list:

I'm not a shill for MS, but:

1) It's probably the main virus vector on the net;

The only way I can see that it's a virus vector is that when installed, it's
set to automatically harvest the email address of everyone you reply to.
Easy to shut off, but most people don't read the instructions. This isn't a
design problem, although MS could change this default easily if their people
got their heads outta their asses.

2) It's demonstrably broken in several ways, violating several RFCs
and a lot of "custom and practice" (practically enforcing top-posting
is the biggest problem, but it also doesn't do MIME properly and
encourages unsafe behaviour w.r.t. attachments)

Top posting? It doesn't offer the option of top or bottom posting like
Netscape/Mozilla, but it's easy enough to post correctly if you take the
time to touch that obscure down arrow key. :-) As far as attachments, the
latest versions of OE shut off attachment viewing by default. You can't
touch them unless you intentionally go into options and flip a switch. This
issue probably generates more questions than any other in the MS newsgroups.

Doug Kanter

news
Have you tried Xnews at all? I'm not a geek, so I don't really get
into tweaking news readers, but my two youngest love it and can make
it do some fancy tricks.

We shouldn't have to fiddle that much to make software work correctly.
Proper requirements gathering and design are supposed to take care of these
things, but that process is sadly lacking from most open source projects, as
well as quite a few shareware/commercial products. Say what you will about
Microsoft, but in terms of what they do BEFORE the coding begins, their
process is almost perfect.

I don't know if you enjoy computer books or not, but the bible of user
interface design is quite fascinating. It's called "About Face 2.0: The
Essentials of Interaction Design", by Alan Cooper. When you're done with it,
you'll know exactly which software authors belong in hell for all eternity.

John H

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 06:55:10 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

He was trying to download a yEnc encoded binary. I don't know if he
ever figured out how to do it. We were on the telephone at the time. I
finally sent him Free Agent, which he upgraded to Agent.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:04:53 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

news
Have you tried Xnews at all? I'm not a geek, so I don't really get
into tweaking news readers, but my two youngest love it and can make
it do some fancy tricks.

We shouldn't have to fiddle that much to make software work correctly.
Proper requirements gathering and design are supposed to take care of these
things, but that process is sadly lacking from most open source projects, as
well as quite a few shareware/commercial products. Say what you will about
Microsoft, but in terms of what they do BEFORE the coding begins, their
process is almost perfect.

I sort of agree with you on that. However, what techheads might think
of as being a good idea, isn't always a good idea. What techheads
might think of as perfectly comprehensible and/or intuitive is
gibberish to a user. And that is the real problem with open source
because you have the same technoids messing around with what should be
a simple concept and all have differing ideas about how stuff should
work.

It's also a somewhat concept becuase it is "open source" only to those
who understand the coding structure - thus the end results will be the
same.

I don't know if you enjoy computer books or not, but the bible of user
interface design is quite fascinating. It's called "About Face 2.0: The
Essentials of Interaction Design", by Alan Cooper. When you're done with it,
you'll know exactly which software authors belong in hell for all eternity.

I'll look it up - thanks for the tip.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)
Doug Kanter

"John H" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 06:55:10 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"John H" wrote in message
.. .

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

He was trying to download a yEnc encoded binary. I don't know if he
ever figured out how to do it. We were on the telephone at the time. I
finally sent him Free Agent, which he upgraded to Agent.

John H

Here's another solution:
http://www.brawnylads.com/yproxy

Fast, stable, seamless for the user, tiny memory footprint. Works like a
charm.