Doug Kanter

Default Not about boats.... *is* about newsreaders....

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Wayne.B

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 06:51:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:
Does Agent permit multiple email accounts? I'd download and test it, but
that's always risky business in the Windows environment. "DLL Hell", as it's
known to veterans.

Not that I'm aware of.

It's a very clean install with no reboot required or funny business in
the registry.

Harry Krause

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 07:19:01 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)

Harry Krause

wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

It is possible, but it isn't easy, and it requires setting up scripts,
and invoking them externally, and it is a pain in the butt. It is not as
easy to do as it is with newsreaders programmed to accommodate multiple
accounts.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

It is possible, but it isn't easy, and it requires setting up scripts,
and invoking them externally, and it is a pain in the butt. It is not as
easy to do as it is with newsreaders programmed to accommodate multiple
accounts.

No scripts - you just copy the data file to a different folder and
change the access data.

I found that my main ISP, Earthlink, doesn't keep binaries long, so I
use Giganews for my photography and fishing pictures, Easynews has
decent access to different newsgroups like this, so that's a different
folder. Earthlink is a different folder, but I don't use that one
much at all - it's a slow server and the throughput is extremely
limited.

Simple and easy.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)
Doug Kanter

wrote:
Does Agent permit multiple email accounts? I'd download and test it, but
that's always risky business in the Windows environment. "DLL Hell", as

it's
known to veterans.

Not that I'm aware of.

It's a very clean install with no reboot required or funny business in
the registry.

I installed it a couple of years back on another machine and was unable to
find anything in the help system about multiple mail accounts. Nothing on
the web site, and in a couple of newsgroups, other users had no clue. I
guess the answer is "no".

Doug Kanter

wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

What exactly do you mean by "open a separate data file"? My goal is to have
multiple accounts with messages from all of them downloading into the same
inbox, while I don't have to touch the keyboard. Possible or not?

Harry Krause

wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

I've watched a friend try to use his
Outlook as a news reader. What a mess.

A mess in what way???

Indeed. Probably too complex for John, even though it is the simplest of
newsreaders to use. I don't like it because it is too "Microsofty," but
it isn't messy, and it does allow for multiple accounts, which Agent
doesn't.

Not true - Agent does allow for multiple accounts - you just have to
open a seperate data file. It's actually as easy as OE to do.

What exactly do you mean by "open a separate data file"? My goal is to have
multiple accounts with messages from all of them downloading into the same
inbox, while I don't have to touch the keyboard. Possible or not?

Well, Outlook does that...but that's not a feature of outlook I like. I
prefer the messages to dump into their own folders, but without my
intervention.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Doug Kanter

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

What exactly do you mean by "open a separate data file"? My goal is to

have
multiple accounts with messages from all of them downloading into the

same
inbox, while I don't have to touch the keyboard. Possible or not?

Well, Outlook does that...but that's not a feature of outlook I like. I
prefer the messages to dump into their own folders, but without my
intervention.

That's a piece of cake with Outlook or OE, Harry. You make a few simple
message rules which tell the program to move messages arriving for X account
into such-and-such a folder.