Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc

Yep, I can understand that. Suzuki used to have a poor reputation for some
of its engines. The 225 (2 stroke) was a horror. The crankshaft's bearings
couldn't take the strain.

FYI the DF90 sells for about $6700. sans factory rebate puts it on your
boat for 6400.

They have since re-engineered. It was make vast improvements or go out of
business. Special "super-alloy" non-galvanic metals for the static parts
like housings and everything else is "heavy-duty rated"

I am not saying you have to run out and buy one, but I can tell you that
we get good, reliable, service from the motors. As I said, we have one DF90
that has in excess of 3000 hours on it. Good service history and has had all
its required maintenance. Never any mechanical or electrical problems. It
been through 4 props, and "stuck-in-the-mud" twice. (Did you know they now
use a stainless steel waterpump?)

Anyway, Just my offering for your research.

Enjoy,

Capt. Frank

"Greg" wrote in message
I guess my bad taste for Suzuki is my neighbor's experience with a

rebadged
Susi Evinrude. He is still in bankruptsy court over that one.
I suppose the bigger ones are better, this was a 40. My other neighbor

loves
his 70 although the paint fell off.
I am also pretty happy with the merc. I am around 600 hours on it and no
problems. I am a bit more careful than the average renter tho ;-)
The Power tilt was standard on the 60 BTW as far as I know. I paid 6625

for it
dropped in my driveway. (spring 2002)

Jon

Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I wasn't clear in the original
post, the 90 will be the 4 stroke. I did some further reading on the
Bigfoot and realized that it has the same gear case as the 90. Right
now I'm inclined to go with the 90, assuming the extra hp will offset
the added weight. Any comments on the weight being an issue?

Thanks
Jon
Greg

If you do end up with the 90 merc I have a new SS 13 3/4 x 15 Michigan Wheel
prop I can make you a deal on.

Calif Bill

The bigfoots / high thrust motors are designed for displacement type boats.
I get better performance with an 8 hp Yama T-8 as a kicker than I did with a
15 mariner as kicker on the same boat. The prop would blow out trying to
run the boat faster. Spin and not more go, lots of slip. The high thrust,
spins a bigger diameter, bigger pitch prop slower.
Bill

"Jon" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I wasn't clear in the original
post, the 90 will be the 4 stroke. I did some further reading on the
Bigfoot and realized that it has the same gear case as the 90. Right
now I'm inclined to go with the 90, assuming the extra hp will offset
the added weight. Any comments on the weight being an issue?

Thanks
Jon

plantsman

My brother bought a new 24' Bennington this past summer with a 90 hp Yamaha
four-stroke on it. Runs really smooth and fairly quiet but the boat will
only do about 20 mph wide-open. It is nice not having to fool with the
2-cycle oil. I'd never thought much about pontoons until spending several
evenings and afternoons on this one. It's like a floating Cadillac, very
plush.

David S.

"Greg" wrote in message
I also highly recomend the 4 stroke on a pontoon!
With the Big Foot and the steering in the first hole you can do docking

tricks
with the twins

Greg

I'd never thought much about pontoons until spending several
evenings and afternoons on this one. It's like a floating Cadillac, very
plush.

Mine is more like a dune buggy ;-)

I don't have any furniture or top, center console and the engine is mounted 4"
above stock. It is great for poking around in the mangroves.