Gary Warner

Default Trailer - Telescoping or Fold Away tongue?

As it stands now the tongue on our trailer might have to
be quite long to get the tongue weight and wheels where
we want them. (Already been discussed a while back
about how those relate to each other).

Question: Anyone
have ideas, oppinions, or links to fold-away or telescoping
tongue designs (or products) that will work with hydraulic
break lines?? Or maybe that just can't be done without
breaking the lines?

Gary

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:36:51 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

As it stands now the tongue on our trailer might have to
be quite long to get the tongue weight and wheels where
we want them. (Already been discussed a while back
about how those relate to each other).

Question: Anyone
have ideas, oppinions, or links to fold-away or telescoping
tongue designs (or products) that will work with hydraulic
break lines?? Or maybe that just can't be done without
breaking the lines?

Are you using surge brakes or electric? On my Ranger trailer, the
lines are rubber from the surge actuator to the trailer frame - so I
can move the trailer tongue around. Wait - let me go take a picture.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tomf123/P1220015.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~tomf123/P1220017.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~tomf123/p1220016.jpg

I'm sorry - I thought the Ranger trailer had a swing tongue - I've
never had to use it.

However, that should give you an idea of how the Ranger trailer tongue
works. Rubber and a qujick disconnect to pull the trailer tongue out
and away from the trailer. I imagine you could do much the same with
a tongue that swung to one side.

The tongue on the custom trailer for my Contender is very similar to
this one only I'm not driving an hour to take a picture. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"The wildness and adventure that are in
fishing still recommend it to me."

Henry David Thoreau
"Walden" (1854)
Rod McInnis

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

Question: Anyone
have ideas, oppinions, or links to fold-away or telescoping
tongue designs (or products) that will work with hydraulic
break lines?? Or maybe that just can't be done without
breaking the lines?

My trailer has a fold away tongue. The break line is passed in a flexible
hose, just like you would use to connect from the trailer frame down to the
wheel.

I have seen other trailers with a removable tongue that had a quick
disconnect for the brake line. I would be concerned about the small amount
of air that would creep in every time you reconnected.

I highly recommend the fold away design.

Rod

Gary Warner

Tom & Rob -

Thanks for answering (and going out to take pictures). Yep, I guess a
flex hose or disconnects would work.

Trailer is hydraulic surge atucated disc.

Gary

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:58:40 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

Tom & Rob -

Thanks for answering (and going out to take pictures). Yep, I guess a
flex hose or disconnects would work.

Trailer is hydraulic surge atucated disc.

Well, if that's the case, I have some advice based on experience.
Keep a couple of brackets handy so you can mechanically lock
the surge actuator in the open position. If I had a dime for
everytime that damn actuator hung up, or the pressure relief solenoid
worked by the backup brake light because of a corroded ground (and it
doesn't take much - trust me) I'd have at least twenty bucks.
Mechanically, the actuator will hang when you turn while backing up -
it almost never happens straight line. The electrical thing is just a
eyeball maintenance thing.

The other thing is watch the fluid reservoir. I don't know if it's
these Buddy Brakes or not, but by the end of the season, I need to put
new fluid in because the old fluid turns black and is obviously
contaminated.

Just my experience with the brakes. ;)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
"The wildness and adventure that are in
fishing still recommend it to me."

Henry David Thoreau
"Walden" (1854)

Gary Warner

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote:

This actuator has a lock-out thing that keeps the breaks OFF /
not applied. Is that what you mean by Open? The lock-out is
so that one can backup the truck without it applying the trailer
brakes.

No electrical to the breaks at all.

Good advice about watching the reservoir - thanks.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:18:03 -0500, "Gary Warner"
wrote:

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote:

This actuator has a lock-out thing that keeps the breaks OFF /
not applied. Is that what you mean by Open? The lock-out is
so that one can backup the truck without it applying the trailer
brakes.

Yeah - that's what I meant - open/brakes off - makes sense to me. :)

No electrical to the breaks at all.

Your actuator should have a solenoid to release the brakes when you
backup - most of them do. It's wired across the backup light.

Good advice about watching the reservoir - thanks.

No problem.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

Trailer Reminder JDavis1277 General 0 January 1st 04 02:26 PM
Downsides to a long trailer tongue? Gary Warner General 83 December 23rd 03 11:45 AM
Trailer Brakes: Electric vs Hydraulic-Surge Gary Warner General 25 October 2nd 03 02:22 AM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM