basskisser

Default GPS Use Question

JimL wrote in message ...
I believe you are confusing tracklog points and waypoints. You
should never lose a waypoint unless you manually delete it or reset
your unit. If you are losing tracklog points, then you probably have
your tracklog set to 'wrap when full'. If you are creating a route,
then you are limited to the (arbitrary) number of waypoints per
route that Garmin has set.

Regardless whether you have it set to full wrap or not, if you simply
run out of waypoints, you are going to lose them. Yes, they are called
tracklog points, when used for that purpose, but, if you look at the
log, they are just another waypoint, at least on MY Garmin.
Richard Malcolm

hey Gary
I don't know about your model, but is must be close to the 2 garmins
that I have. There is basicly 3 different looks that you can use
(unless yours has maps in it). I think last time we talked you asked
and I said a map on a 2 inch screen on a bouncing boat might not be
useful.
Anyway, I only use the road looking screen when I am really worried
about going as the crow flies, for instance if it is at night and
there are rocks out side the channel.
I usually use the one that looks like a compass and is always
adjusting itself.
Sometimes I use the one that I can zoom in and out on and see where I
am in the really big picture of things, like when I want to see many
waypoints and where I am in relationship to that.

As one or more of the people and you have said, it will become clear
when you get out in the water and use it. by the way I could not open
the last pics of delila you sent
JimL

I wasn't clear on my previous post. Yes, wrap or not, you will
still lose tracklog points. It's just a matter of whether you lose
them at the beginning or the end. :^)

I don't know which Garmin unit you have, but if it's one still in
production, you may want to check their website for updates if you
don't already. I have a couple of eTrex models and the waypoints
and tracklog points are mutually exclusive. If you were referring
to routes, then in my eTrex's, these are made up of waypoints that
are manually added in the course of building a route. I know of no
way to view tracklog points in these models without downloading them
to a pc and viewing them. I used the term 'arbitrary' in my
for the eTrex Legend. I believe the number increases were from 50
waypoints per route to 125 per route, waypoints from 500 to 1000
and tracklog points from 2048 to 10,000. Although I believe the
saved tracklog is 750 points per track, I don't remember what this
was boosted from. The point of this is to mention that it may be
worth checking for your unit if you haven't already.

-JimL